Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Existing Print Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Installing Existing Print Driver

    I've found that if i install an identical printer (2nd one), that i have to browse for the driver (D: or from where i store drivers at another location). Even if i go to the manufacturer drop down list (ex. hp), look through the existing drivers, i sometimes don't see the driver there that was used to install the first printer.

    So i have 2 choices.

    1) I could install the driver from disk, or where i have it stored at an alternet loccation, in which either way, it will eventually say...(Use existing Driver or replace)

    2) Or i could choose any driver on the drop down list (hp), when installed, go to the advanced tab, SELECT THE DROP DOWN BOX, AND THEN SELECT THE DRIVER I USE ON THE OTHER IDENTICAL PRINTER.

    I know if i go to driverstore, the drivers are located there. But it's hard to tell which one is which.

    EX.

    14986_0DB36D6CD4FFF14BB00FD1A4B45E40B12DB1217B
    b57win32_B128B11BA8FD871CB9393C960A0435FD999009BA
    HECI_50847E8FE62B60457F4AF39AE9759498FCBFE2C4

    Does any body know a way where i can find the driver already installed, and choose the driver like i would if i was in the advanced tab?


    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Installing Existing Print Driver

    Is this a network printer?
    What operating system (2008, 32 or 64 bit / 2008R2 )?
    What is the client operating system? (32 or 64 bit)
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Installing Existing Print Driver

      Yes,

      xp, 7, 8, 2008r2. any of the these if possible.

      32 and 64

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Installing Existing Print Driver

        Yes, - OK

        xp, 7, 8, 2008r2. any of the these if possible. - NO bloody help at all

        32 and 64 - Really

        Kobe, you have over 200 posts and know what sort of info is required. Unless you post back with information that can be worked with you will get little if ANY help with your problem. I am not going to try an pull the information from you and I sure as shit am not going to keep guessing as to your problem.

        Post back with the required information about your setup then help can be provided.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Installing Existing Print Driver

          WOW biggles77....didn't mean to piss you off, not sure how that happend. Did that come off as being disrespectful? If so i apologize.


          Last post i made before this thread was

          Re: IIS 7.0 To IIS 7.5

          THANKS AGAIN GUYS FOR HELPING. IT'S GREAT TO KNOW THAT THERE IS HELP WHEN YOU GET STUCK, KNOWING YOUR THERE IS HALF THE BATTLE. IT ALLOWS ME, AND I'M SURE OTHERS, TO STAY CONFIDENT AND NEVER GIVE UP. THAT'S WHY I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!!!


          I've always!!!, appreciated you and your time helping with my questions and happy you do!

          I know in order for me to get an answer from you guys, i have to put myself in your shoes, on how you would interpret the question from me.

          My answers were as they were. There is nothing else to give. I'm not the best with wording, but i always review my posts to see if there is something i can change.


          ok, just came to me, since you responded like that, i guess what i should have asked, is how do you know what folder to select when they look like

          14986_0DB36D6CD4FFF14BB00FD1A4B45E40B12DB1217B
          b57win32_B128B11BA8FD871CB9393C960A0435FD999009BA
          HECI_50847E8FE62B60457F4AF39AE9759498FCBFE2C4

          I've gotten lucky a few times, but others very time consuming.

          When you use the manufacturer cd, you see the printer model # folder, not like the above. no matter what OS, network, or bit.

          Sorry, i hope that is explained better. i'm not being smart, being sincere!
          Last edited by Kobe 310; 22nd August 2014, 15:36.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Installing Existing Print Driver

            Not pissed off, just annoyed. In order for us to help you we need to know as much about your setup as you do. ONE word answers do not help.

            eg.
            We do NOT know what the printer is attached to.
            We didn't know what operating systems were involved until your previous post.
            We do not know if you have installed 32 and 64 bit drivers.
            We do not know how the print drivers have been installed on the clients.

            The more info we get the better chance you can get a solution.

            14986_0DB36D6CD4FFF14BB00FD1A4B45E40B12DB1217B
            b57win32_B128B11BA8FD871CB9393C960A0435FD999009BA
            HECI_50847E8FE62B60457F4AF39AE9759498FCBFE2C4
            Where did this come from? Need MORE info!

            Thank you.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Installing Existing Print Driver

              gotcha!!! agreed!!!

              Quote:
              14986_0DB36D6CD4FFF14BB00FD1A4B45E40B12DB1217B
              b57win32_B128B11BA8FD871CB9393C960A0435FD999009BA
              HECI_50847E8FE62B60457F4AF39AE9759498FCBFE2C4
              Where did this come from? Need MORE info!



              Well..... so much for me reviewing my posts, before i post. sorry about that!!! That is from C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore.

              This is where i would like to see if there is a way of distinguishing which folder holds the existing print driver. This may be impossible, but if possible, i figured you guys would know.


              Thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Installing Existing Print Driver

                Installed Print Drivers are in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers on the workstation. Don't have access to a Server with a printer attached at this point in time so I cannot give a definitive answer for the driver location on the Server but I would guess they are in the same location.


                Ok, from the beginning.

                You have a secret brand/model printer installed.
                You install an identical secret brand/model printer.
                You try to install second secret printer onto a client (32 or 64 bit) but it doesn't offer you any drivers.

                Is this all correct?
                • Have you SHARED the second secret printer that is installed on the Print Server which I assume is Server 2008 R2?
                • Have you installed the SAME Print Driver version as the first secret printer?
                • Have you installed the 32 bit drivers?
                • Did you install the XP drivers when you installed the secret printer onto the Print Server?
                • Have you checked the second secret printer to check if the drivers actually installed on the Print Server? (The second printer should have used the drivers that the first printer used if it is really identical)
                • How is the printer queue identified? By name or an IP?
                • Is this a WORKGROUP Print Server or a Domain Print Server? (Is Active Directory installed on the network?)
                The answers to most of these questions SHOULD have been provided in your first post. Do not provide information thinking everyone knows how you devices are setup. I believe you are posting as if they know what you know and that is why information about your is so lacking.

                BTW, b57win32 etc looks like a Broadcom network driver to me.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Installing Existing Print Driver

                  Sorry about the delay, went on vacation

                  I got to the 3rd question you had below, and I clearly i must have created some miscommunication on the objective here.

                  I will ask question this way

                  I have 5 HP 2055 printers in office, all have static ip addresses
                  I have 20 laptops in office all 32 bit
                  Both the laptops and printers ARE NOT part of a domain, and also not on a server
                  I use same driver for all laptops


                  - When installing printer 1 hp 2055, 10.1.10.20, you get to the usual point of "WINDOWS UPDATE". "HAVE DISK", or on the left side you can select the manufacturer, and go to the manufactures drivers installed there(If available). I go to "have disk", go to "My Computer" where i have a(MAPPED DRIVE FOR MY DATA SERVER WHERE I SAVE THE PRINT DRIVERS), and use driver "abcd", it installs correctly everything works

                  ................

                  Ok, the reason i made the mapped drive etc bold is because the below statement is for if i DON'T HAVE THAT DRIVE MAPPED ANYMORE. (it could be 4 months later that i am installing the 2nd printer)

                  ...............

                  - When installing printer 2 hp 2055, 10.1.10.21, you get to the usual point of "WINDOWS UPDATE". "HAVE DISK", or on the left side you can select the manufacturer, and go to the manufactures drivers installed there. I DON'T go to "have disk" (no mapped drive), so i go to the manufacturer, HP, and look for the driver that i already know is on this laptop from installing and still installed Printer 1 HP 2055(HP LaserJet 2055)

                  The driver(HP 2055 Laser Jet) is not listed ........so,




                  I have found that i can install a driver from the selected list of hp drivers provided. Then go back to the same printer 2 HP 2055, select properties, go to advanced, and there i will see the driver for printer 1 HP 2055 in a drop down list.


                  Where can i find the printer 1 driver, already located on the laptop, without having to go through steps explained in printer 2 above.

                  If i chose HAVE DISK, went to "Driverstore", (Or Whatever Folder The Drives Are Located , location depending upon which OS i am using).

                  Is there a way of distinguishing which driver is the HP 2055 or Any Manufacturers Model Number, like you did below.

                  Originally posted by biggles77 View Post

                  BTW, b57win32 etc looks like a Broadcom network driver to me.
                  Last edited by Kobe 310; 9th September 2014, 14:58.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Installing Existing Print Driver

                    Originally posted by Kobe 310 View Post
                    Sorry about the delay, went on vacation

                    I got to the 3rd question you had below, and I clearly i must have created some miscommunication on the objective here.

                    I will ask question this way

                    I have 5 HP 2055 printers in office, all have static ip addresses
                    I have 20 laptops in office all 32 bit
                    Both the laptops and printers ARE NOT part of a domain, and also not on a server
                    I use same driver for all laptops


                    - When installing printer 1 hp 2055, 10.1.10.20, you get to the usual point of "WINDOWS UPDATE". "HAVE DISK", or on the left side you can select the manufacturer, and go to the manufactures drivers installed there(If available). I go to "have disk", go to "My Computer" where i have a(MAPPED DRIVE FOR MY DATA SERVER WHERE I SAVE THE PRINT DRIVERS), and use driver "abcd", it installs correctly everything works

                    ................

                    Ok, the reason i made the mapped drive etc bold is because the below statement is for if i DON'T HAVE THAT DRIVE MAPPED ANYMORE. (it could be 4 months later that i am installing the 2nd printer)

                    ...............

                    - When installing printer 2 hp 2055, 10.1.10.21, you get to the usual point of "WINDOWS UPDATE". "HAVE DISK", or on the left side you can select the manufacturer, and go to the manufactures drivers installed there. I DON'T go to "have disk" (no mapped drive), so i go to the manufacturer, HP, and look for the driver that i already know is on this laptop from installing and still installed Printer 1 HP 2055(HP LaserJet 2055)

                    The driver(HP 2055 Laser Jet) is not listed ........so,




                    I have found that i can install a driver from the selected list of hp drivers provided. Then go back to the same printer 2 HP 2055, select properties, go to advanced, and there i will see the driver for printer 1 HP 2055 in a drop down list.


                    Where can i find the printer 1 driver, already located on the laptop, without having to go through steps explained in printer 2 above.

                    If i chose HAVE DISK, went to "Driverstore", (Or Whatever Folder The Drives Are Located , location depending upon which OS i am using).

                    Is there a way of distinguishing which driver is the HP 2055 or Any Manufacturers Model Number, like you did below.
                    Why not just store the driver locally on the PC and you will NOT run into this issue.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Installing Existing Print Driver

                      Thanks,

                      I could do that!!!

                      was just curious why the driver shows up after I install a driver(which would be the wrong one). instead of showing up in the HP drivers.

                      So I guess my next question would be, do you know where the drivers are stored at that show up in the manufactures list.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X