No announcement yet.

Backing Up Virtual Drives

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing Up Virtual Drives

HI Everyone,

I have a server running Server 2008 R2 and it has 3 virtual machines on it. What I do is run a bare metal backup on the server every other day but I am not sure if the virtual machines are truly being backed up unless I run a complete disaster recovery.
    From some research I found that you have to register the Hyper-V writer first and then you can backup the virtual machines. What it didn't find is whether or not a "bare metal" backup after registering the "writer" will do the trick.

I have registered the "writer" and everything seems to be backing up but I'm really not sure if the server crashed tomorrow that my backup would bring the server right back to the last backup.

Is there anyone familiar with this?

Re: Backing Up Virtual Drives

Selecting the bare metal component doesn't back up the virtual machines as far as I know. You need to select the Hyper-V component to back up the virtual machines.

Re: Backing Up Virtual Drives

Hi Joeqwerty,

Initially that's what I thought but when I looked at the bare metal backup file it shows the VXD files and the folders that a virtual machine would put its files into, so when I found that you had to initialize the writer it seemed that a bare metal backup would do the trick.

Do you know for sure that you have to have a separate backup. BTW, I did find articles saying that you had to have a separate backup but they didn't talk about initializing the writer.

Any thoughts?