No announcement yet.

Problems w/auth. when viewing webpage in alt. browsers

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems w/auth. when viewing webpage in alt. browsers

i have a problem... and i know you guys can figure this out. im close, but not 100% so im gonna run it by you guys cause y'all rock!

i have an app developed by my company. it relies on connections to several servers to perform its duty. there is an SQL server that has the databases. there is a webserver hosting a page via IIS 7, either in SSL or not (ill explain better in a sec). there is also your standard mix of DCs for authentication and such...

we have this set up on another server and it is functioning correctly. the only thing different is the certificates really. the connections and the user accounts used to make this webpage/app work are the same as the other non-working server.

when i open this page in internet explorer, i am prompted (as expected) to connect to the page. i provide the credentials required and the page loads without a problem...

here is where the problem is. if i was to try to initiate the webpage via an alternative browser like say firefox or chrome, the app lets my authenticate the first time, then there are 5 other boxes that pop up looking for usernames and passwords. this doesnt matter if it happens from inside the domain or outside, it fails and wont work, even if you put in all the passwords. it may be because of the timeout cause it takes me a long time to authenticate with all those boxes... maybe if i was faster it would work, but im not sure about that yet.

normally i would say "use internet explorer" but the people that purchased this product from us run 100% MacBooks, so Internet Explorer is out of the question.

now, about the certs. the server that works has a certificate, but i think its was generated by an enterprise CA (or maybe godaddy, still trying to get in that server, but its in productions and maxed out) and that is the only difference...

would a self-signed cert versus a trusted cert make a difference in this instance?

has anyone ever had an issue like this? what do you think might be causing this behavior?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: Problems w/auth. when viewing webpage in alt. browsers

im still trying to figure this out... i just wanted to update the thread.

so here is something i have found. if i use fiddler, i can get the site to work. as i understand it, fiddler is just a kinda man-in-the-middle progy... when you install the SSL decryption, if i understand whats going on, is that fiddler is accepting the certificate for me, and i am accepting the certificate from fiddler, this allows fiddler to do decryption of the SSL so i can read the packets and such...

does that help anyone with any clues? its gotta be worth something, i just dont know who...

so again, could all this trouble be caused by a self-signed cert??
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...