No announcement yet.

Batch File Problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batch File Problem

Since I started in IT when DOS was considered an advanced technology I am almost embarrassed to have to ask for help with this, but since I have little hair left I guess I will swallow my pride and put this out there.

Without going into my normal painful detail; from a 2008 R2 server I need to automatically rename a directory on a mapped drive (Z: ) while adding the date to that folder and then create a new empty one with the same name as the original one I renamed. I am backing up folders from the server to the qb_copy folder.

Here is what I have done so far but it fails at the rename function. I cannot figure out why. The variables work, the wait time works and the new directory creation works. Just the rename fails with a syntax error. When the batch file is finished I should have a populated folder named QB_Copy_For_07-20-2014 (as of today's date)

for /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('DATE/T') do set cdate=%%a-%%b-%%c

set "var1=QB_Copy_For_"

ren z:\qb_copy z:\%var1%%cdate%

ping -n 1 -w 6000>NUL

MD z:\"qb_copy

What am I doing wrong?

Re: Batch File Problem

Hello guys and gals,

I feel stupid. I figured it out about 2 minutes after I posted it. The second Z: in the rename command line had to be removed... I had forgotten about that particular oddity.

Thanks for reading. Hope I can help someone else.

Re: Batch File Problem

Thanks for posting back with your solution.

I can empathise TOTALLY with the technologically advanced DOS (v3.3) and the follically challenged aspect of your post. Hair today.......gone NOW!!
      Departed: 23rd December 2015