MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it

I installed 2 Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and, after several Windows updates, I started to get the following error message in both servers:

"MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it"

I searched and found an article in Technet (I cannot paste the link because I need at least 5 posts) saying that a hot fix should be applied and so I did but nothing happened, I am still getting the same error when I try to open Event Viewer and Server Manager. I see that this issue is caused by a .NET (it seems it is v2.0 ) update. Has anyone had this situation? Also, if I install Windows Server again, how can I avoid getting this problem?

Respectfully,
    Jorge Maldonado

Re: MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it

Every once in a while, things go wrong with Dot NET updates from MS. They've had that many problems with Dot NET that they wrote a tool to totally remove it from a machine, so that you can re-install it all from scratch. I've had to do this several times over the last 8 years, and it hasn't destroyed a server yet.

The tool can be found at:
    'http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135'. Have a read of the 'Additional Information' hyperlink to find out the uses, etc. Also, before you run it, I'd advise manually downloading the 64-bit installs for all versions you're currently using on these servers, so you can reinstall them if need be. Then, re-run your Update cycle to bring them up to the current build.

Try this out before you think about completely reinstalling the entire OS from scratch.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for replying.
      I am supposing that .NET framework is installed because the Technet article I mention says this issue has to do with it, and also because there is a "Windows/Microsoft.NET/" folder, which contains 2 folders, "Framework" and "Framework64", and inside of each one of them there are folders for versions 1, 2, 3 and 3.5 (version 1 is only in the Framework folder not in the Framework64). The strange issue is that I do not see the frameworks installed in "Programs and Features" section of Control Panel.

This is an excerpt from the Technet article:

"Good morning AskPerf! Madhurjya here from the Windows Performance Team to alert you on an emerging issue where random MMC snap-ins will fail after installing the June 2012 .NET updates.
      After installing these .NET updates on a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2/SP1 machine, certain snap-ins will fail. Most notably, the Server Manager and Event Viewer snap-ins. "

I will very much appreciate your comments.

Best regards,
      Jorge Maldonado

Comment

The versions of Dot NET prior to 3.5 are 'integral' with the OS, installed as part of it, rather than added later. Ver 3.5 can be added as a feature in Server 2012, and I think 2008R2 as well, and v4.x is installed as an additional program (WSUS and Windows Update add it if you want it). I think v1 is old enough that it doesn't have an x64 version written.

If the June 2012 update randomly broke things, it is assumed that later patches fixed whatever was broken. At least they admit the failure, though.

Pls let us know what you end up doing to resolve this issue, if for nothing else but to help someone else in a similar situation.
        *RicklesP*

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

The server is updated only with the important updates and not the optional ones, and the issue remains.

I have a new server with Windows Server 2008 installed but I do not want to run the updates, I want to avoid this situation again. I am stuck, I do not know how to proceed. After running the .NET Framework Repair Tool I am asked to "re-install" the framework. I guess this means that I have to install it as if it were not there: download it and install it. All of the versions (1, 2, 3 and 3.5)? 32 and 64 bit?

Best regards,
          Jorge Maldonado

Comment

I did mention in my first post that you should download the different installs for Dot NET so you can reinstall after the tool has cleaned them out. You'll only need the 32- or 64-bit versions, depending on which flavor of OS you have. Your original post stated 2008 R2 SP1, so only the 64-bit applies.

These sorts of updates don't tend to corrupt any install of Dot NET, so other servers probably won't experience the same problem. I haven't had any repeats of failures after using the removal tool, either.

Install the 2 and 3.5 versions, then let Updates apply everything applicable. Restart as necessary and keep searching until no further updates are needed. After each install/update cycle, let the PC sit for 5 minutes or so before you restart it. I've observed a service running in the background, which I think is an 'optimization' service for Dot NET. If you let that run it's course after each update cycle before rebooting, you stand much less chance of having any repeats of the error you've got. You can see it's done because the CPU utilization goes to and stays at 99% of 'System Idle' time for at least 30-40 seconds.
            *RicklesP*

Comment

Working...
            X