Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing pre-Win 2000 domain name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Changing pre-Win 2000 domain name

    Hi All,

    My apologies for this question as it has probably been asked a million times before.

    I've got a setup here that I inherited from people who had no idea what they are doing and one of my projects was to eliminate this old domain alias.

    I'm digging a bit more in to this and I've become less confident that this would be a quick flipping of an old domain alias and now it looks like I would need to do a complete domain rename.

    I'm in a 2008-R2 functional level, with Exchange 2010, I have our domain blahblah.com and a pre-windows 2000 name of WORKGROUP (Seriously, I wish I was kidding)

    We still see the WORKGROUP domain all over the place, most computers have that on the login screens, a lot of the login accounts for services also decide to pick that display name instead of [email protected].

    I've had to deal with some poor setups in my career but I am out of my element here. Is there any, simple, way to stop WORKGROUP from showing up?

    Thank you in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,

    -- RP

  • #2
    Re: Changing pre-Win 2000 domain name

    I've never done anything like this and have no experience with setting up or removing a domain alias, but the 5mins reading I've just done suggests that using AD Domains and Trusts will allow you to add/remove UPN suffixes that are used to specify [email protected] and [email protected] on the same domain.

    Apologies if I have misunderstood.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Changing pre-Win 2000 domain name

      Originally posted by Blood View Post
      I've never done anything like this and have no experience with setting up or removing a domain alias, but the 5mins reading I've just done suggests that using AD Domains and Trusts will allow you to add/remove UPN suffixes that are used to specify [email protected] and [email protected] on the same domain.

      Apologies if I have misunderstood.
      Hi Blood,

      Thanks for looking at this. The UPN suffix isn't the problem unfortunately. Mine is the issue with the PreWin 2K Netbios name. This thing is still popping up everywhere.

      I did some more research since my original post and it looks like I'm screwed, exchange won't allow a domain change. I'd have to create a new parallel domain, trust it, migrate users and computer, extract all the exchange clients then re-import them.

      At this point if I can hide or give a new alias to the Netbios domain name that would be awesome.

      My head hurts. ha...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Changing pre-Win 2000 domain name

        That's a weird one.

        Are you positive this is entirely from the original Workgroup name? Before we established our domain we had a Win3x, then Win95, then Win98 'workgroup' network. However, when I set up our first domain I created new user accounts and named the domain htlincs.local.

        I have seen 'workgroup' pop up but only as an entity on the network when when guest machines have connected and when networked printers have been connected.

        I don't know what the size of your network is, but if it is small enough, would it be possible to ask all staff to log on as [email protected] or blahblah\username and similarly to specify service accounts as blahblah\serviceaccount?

        I wonder if the 'workgroup' would then eventually disappear.

        However, I'm interested in seeing what you have read about it so far. My search results have led to setting up alias names for machines/existing domains, but that obviously does not apply to you.

        I've set up our domain three times here but have not had an issue where the workgroup or any older names have reappeared as logins. I'm really perplexed about why the workgroup name is appearing on your network.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Changing pre-Win 2000 domain name

          Originally posted by Blood View Post
          That's a weird one.

          Are you positive this is entirely from the original Workgroup name? Before we established our domain we had a Win3x, then Win95, then Win98 'workgroup' network. However, when I set up our first domain I created new user accounts and named the domain htlincs.local.

          I have seen 'workgroup' pop up but only as an entity on the network when when guest machines have connected and when networked printers have been connected.

          I don't know what the size of your network is, but if it is small enough, would it be possible to ask all staff to log on as [email protected] or blahblah\username and similarly to specify service accounts as blahblah\serviceaccount?

          I wonder if the 'workgroup' would then eventually disappear.

          However, I'm interested in seeing what you have read about it so far. My search results have led to setting up alias names for machines/existing domains, but that obviously does not apply to you.

          I've set up our domain three times here but have not had an issue where the workgroup or any older names have reappeared as logins. I'm really perplexed about why the workgroup name is appearing on your network.
          Hey Blood,

          If my understanding is correct at some point when they created the domain 15 years ago they created blahblah.com as the AD DNS login, but kept or chose the WORKGROUP as their NETBIOS domain to allow some of the older computers and scripts to work without issue.

          If it isn't obvious this company never really had anyone who had any idea of what they are doing until the past couple years in IT.

          We can login with [email protected], blahblah.com\user, WORKGROUP\user. So the DNS domain is fine it is just this legacy one that is killing us. Even if I go in to a service and tell it to start the user as [email protected] on most of our servers it will revert back to WORKGROUP\User.

          We can join the domain using WORKGROUP or blahblah.com as well.

          The login screen in XP/2003 usually has the domain as WORKGROUP, but sometimes in Win7 it will be there as well. I think for the most part it does show up properly as blahblah.com though.

          If this NETBIOS name was literally called anything else this wouldn't be a problem, but we've run in to some issues with our Quantum and VMWare setups that complain that they can only be installed on a domain because for whatever reason WORKGROUP takes priority.

          In ADUC, under the user's account tab, we have the only UPN for our DNS domain which is correct, then underneath of course we have WORKGROUP.

          I spent a few hours yesterday researching, some people were suggesting turning on WINS which is about the last thing in the world I'd like to do.

          But something I saw sparked a thought, disabling NETBIOS over TCPIP on the DHCP server (or on the client end). That should force everything to go over DNS and since WORKGROUP isn't pingable blahblah.com may start being the domain they default to.

          Sorry for this brain dump, it is just nice to be able bounce this off someone. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is confused by this... Who uses workgroup... really... [facepalm]

          If I've missed something or you need something clarity let me know, thanks again for your time

          -- RP

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Changing pre-Win 2000 domain name

            Thanks. I realised later exactly what had happened, and the possible need for scripts to run etc., I just had not thought it through properly before I replied.

            My next question, which you have answered, was going to be which computers it affected as I thought perhaps WinVista/7/8 might not be affected. However, you also say that the service accounts will re-appear as workgroup\....

            I've done some more searching and, as you said in your first post, because you use Exchange you will not be able to do this because a domain rename is required.

            The only solution I saw was from nearly ten years ago which suggested reverting back to NT4, renaming, and then going back up and the poster qualified it by stating it would be really messy - and unfeasible in your situation.

            Why are you reluctant to use WINS? I've read several times it is defunct, but I've had it installed on our network the entire time without any noticeable problems. Mind you, our network is very different from yours.

            Ace Fekay has a great article on NetBIOS/WINS resolution and the various settings. If you're not familiar with it you can see it here. If nothing else it may trigger something to help you find a work-around.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Changing pre-Win 2000 domain name

              Originally posted by Blood View Post
              Thanks. I realised later exactly what had happened, and the possible need for scripts to run etc., I just had not thought it through properly before I replied.

              My next question, which you have answered, was going to be which computers it affected as I thought perhaps WinVista/7/8 might not be affected. However, you also say that the service accounts will re-appear as workgroup\....

              I've done some more searching and, as you said in your first post, because you use Exchange you will not be able to do this because a domain rename is required.

              The only solution I saw was from nearly ten years ago which suggested reverting back to NT4, renaming, and then going back up and the poster qualified it by stating it would be really messy - and unfeasible in your situation.

              Why are you reluctant to use WINS? I've read several times it is defunct, but I've had it installed on our network the entire time without any noticeable problems. Mind you, our network is very different from yours.

              Ace Fekay has a great article on NetBIOS/WINS resolution and the various settings. If you're not familiar with it you can see it here. If nothing else it may trigger something to help you find a work-around.
              I've phased WINS out of my domains years ago and just would prefer to not go back. Today with the GlobalNamesZone in DNS should probably cover our bases.

              On that note we are pretty flat here and WINS and the GNZ options I don't think would keep windows from showing the NetBios domain as often as it does.

              If I can mask it, or stop having it take precedence as often as it does (like in the Services login, the startup screen in windows,etc) that would be a great start.

              We probably do need to hammer it in to the user's heads to use the UPN login more often like you mentioned in one of your earlier messages, I can get the helpdesk folks to start that.

              Really at the end of the day it's looking like I'm basically boned because of a bad decision made 15 years ago with this domain.

              Oh look a bottle of scotch... This might help

              Comment

              Working...
              X