No announcement yet.

Error joining Win Server 2008's domain (possible DNS issue)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error joining Win Server 2008's domain (possible DNS issue)

Just got Win Server 2008 running on my ESXi server, with the intentions of running it as a 24x7 DC for my home network.

I installed the role as Active Directory Domain Services. I unchecked the option to install the DNS server with it, because I want to use my ISP's DNS servers. my FQDN is

However when I tried to connect my first host to the domain, I get this error:

The following error occured attempting to join the domain "HOME":

An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.
    At first i figured this was because I didnt install the DNS role. So i went back and installed the DNS role to my server then added DNS fowarder to point to my ISP's DNS servers.

I tried connecting my host to the domain again but I still get the same error.

any ideas?

Re: Error joining Win Server 2008's domain (possible DNS issue)

Stop trying to use your ISP DNS servers for your AD DNS. Your ISP does not host the DNS zone for

Without going into the vagaries of how to fix this, my suggestion would be to delete the VM and start from scratch. When you install AD DS and run DCPROMO to create the AD domain also install DNS and let the wizard take care of the rest.