No announcement yet.

Transfer Win 2008 Server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Win 2008 Server

I have running HP server with windows 2008 enterprise 64 bit server installed and on this server i had configured my domain, DHCP, DNS, Microsoft Exchange 2007 mail, File and Print server. All are working good.

But now i purchased new server with better hardware configuration and i want to transfer all above server to this new server. Please suggest what i need to do this work done. I had configured this server with RAID and install Windows 2008 enterprise server on this new server.

So, please suggest what i need to do on server side as well as client side.

Client Desktop configuration : Windows XP SP 2
    Mail client : Microsoft Outlook with MAPI configuration

Re: Transfer Win 2008 Server

First, keep Exchange and AD separate or it causes no end of problems!

I would suggest you keep your current server as AD / DNS / DHCP and file or print, then move Exchange and file /print to the new server.

Alternatively consider VMs on the new server -- 2008 (hope it is R2) Enterprise supports 4 VMs IIRC

Roughly add the server to the domain, then install Exchange, then move mailboxes/PFs and eventually decommission the old Exchange. Do not try to DCunPROMO the current box with exchange on it or it will break badly.

Regardless of what you do, take your time, plan things out and if you can, build a test environment using any spare hardware to try before you commit yourself.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Transfer Win 2008 Server

I was a bit surprised with XP SP2. Even with XP support expired is there any reason why you don't have SP3 installed. Oh yes, go virtual. Depending on your licences, I would even consider the 2012 R2 Hypervisor and not have an operating system as per normal to run Hyper-V from. However having a hyper-V MMC running on another machine makes management of the VMs a whole lot easier AND it's got some slick things that "standard" hyper-V doesn't do.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015