Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fsmo seize. how to transfer it back to its original location

i already transfered the 5 fsmo roles to my exhcange server

the crashed server is now alive but not connected to my network.

my plan is to demote my old server then i will transfer fsmo roles once my old server is up and running.

i already cleanup metadata to my exchange server
    Last edited by boyturbo; 28th May 2014, 05:56.

Re: fsmo seize. how to transfer it back to its original location

Originally posted by boyturbo View Post
    hi,

i have 2 dcs in the network
    1 exchange server
    1 dc with fsmo role (crashed)

the one holding the fsmo role crashed.
    so i transfer the fsmo role to our exchange server using the seize command.

how can i transfer the fsmo role to its original server after transfering it to other server by ntdsutil seize?
    You can't transfer back a seized role AFAIK.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504

Have you rebuilt the crashed server??

***EDIT***

I knew i'd read it somewhere

If a DC becomes unreliable, try to get it back on line, and transfer the FSMO roles to a reliable computer. Administrators should use extreme caution in seizing FSMO roles. This operation, in most cases, should be performed only if the original FSMO role owner will not be brought back into the environment. Only seize a FSMO role if absolutely necessary when the original role holder is not connected to the network.
    From here http://www.petri.com/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm#
    Last edited by wullieb1; 28th May 2014, 05:30.

Comment

Once seized, some roles cannot be transferred back. According to Microsoft, attempting to do so could cause serious damage to the Active Directory database.

Seizing roles is something one should only consider when there's no chance of the original server coming back online. Specifically, if you seize the Schema Master, Domain Naming Master and/or RID Master roles, you should under no circumstances attempt to resurrect the original DC. The server should either be reinstalled from scratch, or all traces of it removed with a metadata cleanup.

If you only seized the PDC Emulator and/or Infrastructure Master roles, you can safely bring the old server online and transfer the roles back.

Comment

hi,

i have 2 dcs in the network
        1 exchange server
        1 dc with fsmo role (crashed)

the one holding the fsmo role crashed.
        so i transfer the fsmo role to our exchange server using the seize command.

how can i transfer the fsmo role to its original server after transfering it to other server by ntdsutil seize?
        Last edited by boyturbo; 28th May 2014, 06:05.

Comment

Once you have seized the FSMO Roles, you cannot transfer them back to the originating server.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

More than that, the original server really should be removed cleanly from AD - unPROMO if you can, otherwise a metadata cleanup, delete computer account and fdisk the original server.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i already performed a clean install on my old server,

also i performed metadata cleanup on my exchange server where the fsmo was transfered.

right now i am trying to add an additional domain controller to my existing dc.

Comment

OK, so once you have joined the new server to the domain, DCPROMO is - it will (after the cleanup) have a different SID.
                Once that is done, transfer the FSMOs properly

Did you say you have Exchange on your current DC - if so, DONT unPROMO is as Exchange will break
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X