No announcement yet.

changing users login profiles

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing users login profiles

Hi everyone this is probably a simple question but the system was set up by somone else who has retired and I have been asked to look into it. I just don't know where to make these changes.
    OK so we have MS server 2008 R2 with clients machines running Windows 7. When a new user is created and logs onto the network he automatically is presented with a desktop containing several shortcuts and folders. If he adds new shortcuts to the desktop they are replaced with the standard ones next time he logs in. I need to change these default shortcuts but don't know where to do it.
    When I create a new user in the domain controller the login script says 'standard with printers.bat' I have found the batch file that sorts out the printers but don't know where to look to edit whatever is creating he desktop profiles.
    I have also tried manually editing the profiles on the server but that doesn't work.
    Any ideas anyone?

Re: changing users login profiles

Hi, another place to check is group policy, you can use the group policy modelling wizard to see what is been applied.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Re: changing users login profiles

It's not a profile issue. The Desktop folder is being redirected to a network share. Look in your Group Policy objects for a GPO that has Folder Redirection configured for the Desktop. You can run the Group Policy Results wizard in the GPMC for the applicable user and computer to find the GPO's that are being applied and find out which one it is.