Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delete inaccessible data from system folder

Hi

One of our domain controllers runs Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition. I have an issue where the $recycle.bin folder on the D drive contains deleted data which I am unable to remove.

The folder contains three sub-folders each named Recycle Bin. One of these contains over 100GB of data from deleted System State backups. However, Windows Explorer cannot see the files even with the option to show hidden files and to show protected system files. However, when I query the folder's Properties the Properties dialog shows that it contains data.

Using a 3rd party disk analysis tool I can see that the three folders actually have unique names and the files they contain are visible.

My quandry is - is there a supported method to delete such data from system folders? Considering this is a domain controller and the data is located in a system folder I don't want to use a 3rd party tool to delete the data without understanding what the impact of this may be.

I've deleted 'undeletable' files in the past by using the command line, but never for a situation such as this.

I have posted this question on MS's server forums where you'll also find a little more info but have not yet had a reply. Can anyone help, please?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Delete inaccessible data from system folder

Hi, I had the same issue but on my personal computer. I just ran treesize as an admin and removed them because I knew what it was. I've removed the whole recycle bin from cmd too. RD /S /Q C:\$RECYCLE.BIN, its automatically recreated. Never caused any issues.
    I'm not sure why the deleted files remain but disk cleanup may be able to remove them, I didn't get a chance to test.

Edit: Almost forgot, for some reason disk cleanup isn't enabled by default in 2008.
    How to enable disk cleanup in server 2008
    http://www.howtogeek.com/50259/add-d...n-server-2008/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by uk_network; 17th May 2014, 11:52.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Thank you very much. I will try this when I am next in the office on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
        Hi, I had the same issue but on my personal computer. I just ran treesize as an admin and removed them because I knew what it was. I've removed the whole recycle bin from cmd too. RD /S /Q C:\$RECYCLE.BIN, its automatically recreated. Never caused any issues.
        I'm not sure why the deleted files remain but disk cleanup may be able to remove them, I didn't get a chance to test.

Edit: Almost forgot, for some reason disk cleanup isn't enabled by default in 2008.
        How to enable disk cleanup in server 2008
        http://www.howtogeek.com/50259/add-d...n-server-2008/
        Thanks a lot. I used the command line to delete the folder and and have now recovered that disk space.

Comment

No probs pal.
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Working...
          X