Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFF HP hard disk not showing in win server 2008 r2 standard

Dear Friends ..

i have newly installed HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 E5-2609 P420i/512MB FBWC 4x1Gb Flex 1x8GB(L) 2x300GB SFF HP DVD-RW 1x460W and installed microsoft windows server 2008 r2 standard edition ,only one 300 gb hard disk is showing in computer management but another 300gb is not showing ,so please support me to solve this issue.

Re: SFF HP hard disk not showing in win server 2008 r2 standard

Go back to the server BIOS or the RAID controller BIOS and check both drives show up there.

Also rescan disks in Computer Management to see if it suddenly appears
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Your hard drive connections are probably labelled as SATA1, SATA2, etc. in the BIOS. As Ossian suggested, look there, but don't assume that the drives will simply show up. Look at the mainboard connectors that each drive has a (usually red) SATA cable to, and then verify that each of those SATA channels is turned on in the BIOS.

If that doesn't do it, check the cable connections and make sure they're all snugly plugged in.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

I tried all but not solved the problem any other ideas ?

Comment

So can you confirm:
          1) Does the drive appear in either the BIOS or the RAID controller (or even both)?

2) If yes, confirm is it NOT in computer management

3) If no, are the cables plugged in - at both ends (and is the drive spinning)?

Try removing the drive and testing in a different computer
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes it appears in Raid Controllers,and its not showing in Computer Management ,both hard disks are SAS 300 Gb Hard disks hot swap models, one 300 gb appears and others dont ...

Comment

So in the RAID controller, have you created a drive/volume on the disk?
              if not, it is unlikely to show up in computer management
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Boot from the SmartStart CD that came with your server for an easy way to check your RAID array. If you don't see the disk in question there, try another drive if possible.

Edit: come to think of it, I believe you can install HP management tools from the SS CD in Windows, so a reboot may not be required.
                Last edited by Bertmax; 20th May 2014, 17:01.

Comment

Hi, have you had a look at the HP ProLiant Array Configuration Utility for Windows

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...421eae2c422f7f
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eL8YkGd33Y
                  Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                  I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                  MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                    Hi, have you had a look at the HP ProLiant Array Configuration Utility for Windows

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...421eae2c422f7f
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eL8YkGd33Y
                    That's on the CD

Comment

babu,

are your disks configured as RAID1 ?
                      if you look at disk management, right click the disk in question and select properties.

It should tell you the actual type of disk. For instance, on my server I have 3 disks in Disk Management.

Disk0 - this says it's an OCZ Vertex Plus ATA Device. at 60GB
                      Disk1 - this says it's an "AMD 1x2 Mirror/RAID1 SCSI Disk Drive" at 231GB
                      Disk2 - This says it's an "AMD 1x2 Mirror/RAID1 Scsi Disk drive" at 1862GB.

That's the logical disk layout.

If I look inside the actual server case, I see I have:
                      Disk0 - OCZ 60GB Solid State Disk
                      Disk1 - 250GB SATA disk
                      Disk2 - 250GB SATA Disk
                      Disk3 - 2TB SATA Disk
                      Disk4 - 2TB SATA disk.

That's the physical disk layout.

so you can see my physical to logical correlates like this:

PhysDisk0 = LogDisk0
                      PhysDisk1+PhysDisk2 = LogDisk1
                      PhysDisk3+PhysDisk4 = LogDisk2

I suspect in your case you might have this:

Logdisk0 = 300GB SCSI
                      PhysDisk1 = 300GB SFF
                      PhysDisk2 = 300GB SFF
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                      X