Can't Access Webserver Using Hostname

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Access Webserver Using Hostname

On my internal network...........on my server, if i type in the hostname/folder, i can access the website.

Off the server, it won't. I have to type in the ip address/folder, then it will access it.

Any ideas

Thanks

Re: Can't Access Webserver Using Hostname

couldn't ping the host, but as soon as i shared the folder where the webpage was stored, i was able to get in now.

And i'm able to ping the host as well.

why when i share a folder, all of a sudden can i ping the host. obviously that's what it took, to share a folder inside the root. ??

Comment

No. You have a name resolution problem. Sharing the folder simply kicked NetBIOS name resolution and/or LLMNR in the butt and made things work. You don't/shouldn't need to share a folder on the web server in order to access the web server. What you need is a reliable name resolution mechanism.

What you need to do is to set up a centralized internal DNS server. Then configure your computers with a common DNS suffix, create a DNS zone for the DNS suffix, create the appropriate DNS records for the site, and configure all of your computers to use the internal DNS server for DNS.

Comment

Thanks joeqwerty!!!

i have 2 DNS severs, using them both as the suffix, but not sure what you mean by..create a DNS zone for the DNS suffix, create the appropriate DNS records for the site.

Also, i am running wordpress, i just noticed that if i click on the login page, it will point to localhost and give a HTTP Error 401.2 - Unauthorized error. Assuming this is the local host of the computer i'm on, not the webserver. Can i make say the hostname/wordpress instead of localhost/wordpress.

I'm using the default webpage
        Last edited by Kobe 310; 1st May 2014, 19:51.

Comment

Web server FQDN = webserver.mydomain.tld

DNS client DNS suffix = mydomain.tld

DNS zone = mydomain.tld

Comment

I think i may have explained my last post wrong.

This webserver is not part of a domain. Don't want to. I do however use my DNS Servers for suffix, instead of my isp's or google's or 4.2.2.2.

Is that why you have
            -Web server FQDN = webserver.mydomain.tld

Comment

The web server doesn't have to belong to a domain.

You have an internal DNS server. It hosts a zone named mydomain.tld. Your internal computers use this DNS server for DNS. You create an A record in the mydomain.tld zone for the name webserver. Your clients use the mydomain.tld DNS suffix. When the client queries for webserver the DNS server will return the ip address of the A record in the zone for the web server (webserver.mydomain.tld).

Comment

Gotcha, Thanks!!!

i'm being a pain in the butt here, but do you know of a link that shows me how to do that. I googled "create an A record in the mydomain.tld zone", and it comes up with links of creating SPF records.

i think i found it, would this be it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFMUAmX2F_o

ok, not working

every time i try to create a zone, think i'm doing it right, i get ZONE NOT LOADED BY DNS SERVER" it seems to want a dns server only.
                Last edited by Kobe 310; 3rd May 2014, 16:57.

Comment

Working...
                X