Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Server Config Problem

Hi there,

I had to reinstall my Win 2008 R2 AD, DNS and DHCP servers and I'm having trouble getting them to work properly.

• My router has IP 192.168.88.1
    • My Host server for VM is 192.168.88.88, and uses DNS and gateway of 192.168.88.1 (the router)
    • My AD / DNS server is 192.168.88.70, and uses DNS and gateway of 192.168.88.70 (itself)
    • My DHCP server is 192.168.88.71, and uses DNS and gateway of 192.168.88.70
    • All servers are part of the domain.

The host server has internet access. The AD/DNS server does not have internet access - not even if I manually enter the router IP for DNS and gateway.

The DHCP server also doesn't have internet access - even if I enter the router IP for gateway and DNS server.

On a client PC, if I manually enter an IP address and the router's address for DNS and gateway, then it works fine. If I allow the DHCP server to automatically assign, then things fall over.

So lets approach this one problem at a time... First, the DC does not have internet access:
    • If I set the default gateway and DNS server to 192.168.88.1, I still don't get internet access
    • If I enter 192.168.88.70 as the DNS and gateway, still no access
    • I have already set up a DNS forwarder for 192.168.88.1

When the DNS server is set to 192.168.88.70, I tried the following: (I had to break the google link because of the forum restrictions)
    Code:
    C:\Users\Administrator>ping www [dot] google [dot] com

Pinging www [dot] google [dot] com [74.125.233.83] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.88.70: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 74.125.233.83:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Any suggestions to fix this first problem?

Re: DNS Server Config Problem

First change your DNS and DHCP servers to use 192.168.88.1 as their gateway - they wont get on the internet if you don't!

Second check the DHCP leases give the correct gateway (as above)

Third check DHCP and fixed IPs use 192.168.88.70 as the DNS server

Fourthly, check the DNS server and confirm you either have DNS forwarders or root hints set up and you can ping external sites by name and IP from it

Finally do an IPCONFIG/RELEASE & /RENEW on clients to pick up new settings and test
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian - You are an absolute champion! All working now

Comment

Glad to help!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X