Migrating from Win2003 to Win2008 server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating from Win2003 to Win2008 server

I have read a post in this forum that talks about migration from Win2003 to Win2008 server and I wish to clear up a few issues. An important step at the beginning of this migration process is to run ADPREP twice as follows:

1. adprep32 /forestprep
    I understand that this step in run ONLY ONCE in the DC which is the schema master. Is this correct?

2. adprep32 /domainprep /gpprep.
    The link that I mention above says that the command should be "adprep32 /domainprep" only, but I have seen that "/gpprep" parameter should be used too. Which one is best? Also, is this command ran only in the schema master DC or in every Windows Server 2003 DC? We actually have 2 Windows Server 2003 DCs.

I will very much appreciate your feedback.

Respectfully,
    Jorge Maldonado

Re: Migrating from Win2003 to Win2008 server

If I remember (and I do NOT have any documentation handy) you run /forestprep only once, on the schema master, and then /domainprep in each domain you wish to upgrade.

/gpprep is something to do with mixed to native mode so does not need running if it has been run at the 2003 level
    (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...#BKMK_R2Adprep for more info)

AFAIK there is no harm in re-running /gpprep apart from network traffic it generates
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I just found a TechNet article that says the following:

* adprep /forestprep must be run on the schema operations master.
      * adprep /domainprep must be run on the infrastructure operations master.
      * adprep /domainprep /gpprep must be run on the infrastructure operations master.

In my case, all of the FSMOs are in one DC so I will do everything there.

Regards.
      Last edited by JORGEMAL; 17th April 2014, 19:09.

Comment

I will perform a system backup before proceeding with the migration task.
        ADPREP will make changes on schema and infrastructure operations masters on Windows Server 2003 DC. Let's say that migration fails. Can Windows Server 2003 DC continue working with the changes made by ADPREP or should I restore the backup?

Regards,
        Jorge Maldonado

Comment

There should be no issues - everything will continue to work fine with the upgraded schema
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X