Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relocating a domain controller - to a different site.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating a domain controller - to a different site.

I have a domain/controller with AD,DNS,DHCP, that i intend to relocate to a different location,change of office and such.

This means the ISP will be different,with different DNS ,internet IP settings.

Besides changing the settings...please advise on any precautions to take,changes to make etc.

Thank you

Re: Relocating a domain controller - to a different site.

Make sure that (in advance) you have configured the new site in Active Directory and have associated the appropriate subnet with it.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

configured the new AD in the new site how? does this mean i have to remote the AD roles installed and reinstall them again....

What i know is that the subnet will remain the same...i.e 0.1 for client computers.

The ISP has changed...which offcourse means i might have to change the DNS settings in use.

Comment

The AD definition of a "site" is a "well connected group of subnets"
        Presumably your main site will be on one subnet e.g. 10.0.0.x and your new site will be on a different one e.g. 192.168.0.x, with a site to site VPN or similar between them.

In AD Sites and Services (on any DC) you:
        a) create the 192.168.0.x subnet
        b) create a new site and associate the subnet with it
        c) if not done, create the 10.0.0.x subnet and associate it with the "default-first-site-name" site
        d) let your changes replicate to other DCs

When you move the DC and give it an IP in the 192.168.0.x subnet, ADSS will put it into the correct site.

The one thing you want to avoid is the same subnet at both sites
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X