Not able to move subfolder of a shared folder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not able to move subfolder of a shared folder

I am trying to move the subfolder of a shared folder (its actually two levels deep) to another subfolder of the same shared folder, but I am given the following warning

"This folder is shared with other people, if you move this folder, it will no longer be shared"

I'm given the choice to continue or cancel.

If I go ahead and continue, all permissions on the folder are removed, and my account is given the full control permission on it.

Folder structure looks like this

Share01
    -Sales
    --Managers
    -Users

So basically I want to move Managers folder beneath Users folder, but I am not able to do so, by just moving it (which should retain NTFS permissions), any idea why?

The only folder that is directly shared is Share01.

OS is of course Server 2008 R2

Re: Not able to move subfolder of a shared folder

If it says it is shared, it is presumably shared. You can share folders that are nested within other shared folders.

You can easily check the status of your shared folders by firing up Computer Management > Shared Folders >Shares. Sort the list by Folder Path and check to see if the ..\Sales\Manager folder is listed.

Or

Right-click the folder and check the share properties.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

That folder is not shared. I know how to share folders and how to check for folders that are shared. The thing is I am not able to move many other folders beneath Share01 either, but Share01 is the only folder that is actually shared.

This is very strange, and does not make any sense.

Comment

Are you doing this on the server itself where the data is shared?

Are the permissions for the Users folder (and other folders off Share01), inherited from Share01? I.E. The Users folder does not have inheritance blocked and its own set of permissions set up?

I have to admit I don't understand why the warning is being displayed.

Comment

Yes, I am doing this on the file server itself.

I've been doing some more research, and it shows that if you define explicit permissions on a folder, it will be marked as "Shared". I never really noticed this before though.

So in my case if I have the following permissions

Share01 (Shared folder)
          -Sales (inheriting permissions from Share01, no explicit permissions defined)
          --Managers (not inheriting permissions, explicit permissions defined)
          -Users (inheriting permissions, explicit permissions defined)

Share01 will obviously be marked as shared, since it is shared.
          Sales will not be marked as shared, since it is not shared, and there are no explicit permissions defined on it.
          Managers will be marked as shared, as there are explicit permissions defined on it.
          Users will be marked as shared, as there are explicit permissions defined on it.

Which means, I can move Sales, without any implications on NTFS permissions, the subfolder Managers will retain its permissions, but if I try to move Managers directly, I will get the "This folder is shared with other people, if you move this folder, it will no longer be shared" and NTFS permissions will change to only the user performing the move having full control on the folder.

So now I just need to find out if there is a way to prevent this from occurring or if the only solution is to use robocopy to copy Managers (with permissions) to another folder, and then delete the original Managers folder.

Comment

Where did you discover this information? Do you have a link, please?

Regarding dragging and dropping, or otherwise moving, folder permissions will always, as far as I am aware, be set so that they are accessible from their new location.

Comment

Moving Managers beneath Users should be a piece of cake (as you can imagine).

Are you sure that Managers is not shared? You can check by opening a command prompt on the server and typing Net Share then enter. It will list all the shares on the server.

You can also find it via the sharing GUI.

You might want to cut your losses and just move it and set the permissions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                Where did you discover this information? Do you have a link, please?

Regarding dragging and dropping, or otherwise moving, folder permissions will always, as far as I am aware, be set so that they are accessible from their new location.
                Discovered it by testing it in a lab.

Originally posted by ITGuy2008 View Post
                Moving Managers beneath Users should be a piece of cake (as you can imagine).

Are you sure that Managers is not shared? You can check by opening a command prompt on the server and typing Net Share then enter. It will list all the shares on the server.

You can also find it via the sharing GUI.

You might want to cut your losses and just move it and set the permissions again.
                Like I said earlier, the only folder that is shared is Share01, none of the other folders are shared.

Anyway, I ended up using move in command prompt, and that retained the permissions. move source_folder destination_folder

Comment

Working...
                X