Server upgrade and NTFS permissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server upgrade and NTFS permissions

I am planning a clean install upgrade of a Server 2003 R2 machine to Server 2008 R2. The machine name will change. This should be basic stuff but I am trying to make sure. What will happen to my NTFS permissions? This is our storage server with MANY files so I have to get this right.

NTFS permissions are stored with the file system but are the NTFS versions different? Will I lose all the NTFS permissions? I was going to back up the NTFS perms of each root folder with icacls but just wondering if that would be overkill. If would be a safety net though.

Re: Server upgrade and NTFS permissions

In my opinion perform a full backup of the server prior to the upgrade.

Upgrade the server and then restore the files, along with the security on them and that should be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      In my opinion perform a full backup of the server prior to the upgrade.

Upgrade the server and then restore the files, along with the security on them and that should be enough.
      Yes I know that would work and is the accepted way but it (server) can't be down too long.

Comment

Originally posted by araczek View Post
        Yes I know that would work and is the accepted way but it (server) can't be down too long.
        I assume the new server will be using new hardware? Migrating data using backup and restore doesn't have to involve much downtime.

First, back up all the data (full backup).

Second, restore the data to the new system while the old server is still in use.

Third, take the old system offline and back up just the data that was changed or added since the last backup (differential backup). That shouldn't take long.

Finally, restore the (small) differential backup on top of the existing data on the new system. That shouldn't take long either.

Comment

araczek, can you confirm whether you are using the same hardware or not.

Comment

Originally posted by araczek View Post
            Nowhere in the original post was this mentioned.

Ser Olmy's post would be the way to go in this case if the same hardware is not being used.

Else there will be downtime.

Comment

Working...
            X