Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Schema master role

Hi All

Im trying to install Exchange 2010 in a different site to that of my Schema Master Role and from the error reports in the installer it seems i will have to move the role to this site. Im not really sure what impact that could have on the site where that role is currently residing. Can anyone shed some light on what may happen if i move just the schema master role?

Re: Moving Schema master role

The DC holding the Schema Master role is the authoritative server for the AD Schema itself, and any extensions to the schema has to involve that server. Other than that, the Schema Master doesn't really do anything, so moving the role should have minimal impact.

Why not just run the commands that perform the schema extension on the existing Schema Master DC, before installing Exchange?

Comment

Ok i think im following now. This just goes down to lack of experience but the installer mentions (see below) to "un setup with the /prepareAD parameter on a computer in the domain area-51zone and site Area-51Zone-HQ, and wait for replication to complete."

Excuse my ignorance here but does that mean a partial install of Exchange on the HQ site, to the point where its ready to install, wait for those changes to replicate to my second site and then run the installer again.

Could you clarify exactly how i run the setup with the /prepareAD parameter? Very nervous about messing up my environment here as im learning as i go and don't currently have any backups running on my servers!

Summary: 5 item(s). 1 succeeded, 4 failed.
      Elapsed time: 00:03:49

Organization Prerequisites
      Failed

Error:
      Setup needs to contact the Active Directory schema master but this computer is not in the same Active Directory site as the schema master (Area-51Zone-HQ).
      Recommended Action: ttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=30939&l=en&v=ExBPA.4&id=2376fec1-b9ce-44db-beb6-cb9ac4788988

Error:
      Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Exchange organization-level objects have not been created, and setup cannot create them because the local computer is not in the same domain and site as the schema master. Run setup with the /prepareAD parameter on a computer in the domain area-51zone and site Area-51Zone-HQ, and wait for replication to complete.

Warning:
      Setup is going to prepare the organization for Exchange 2010 by using 'Setup /PrepareAD'. No Exchange 2007 server roles have been detected in this topology. After this operation, you will not be able to install any Exchange 2007 server roles.

Elapsed Time: 00:03:39

Languages Prerequisites
      Completed

Elapsed Time: 00:00:01

Hub Transport Role Prerequisites
      Failed

Error:
      Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Exchange organization-level objects have not been created, and setup cannot create them because the local computer is not in the same domain and site as the schema master. Run setup with the /prepareAD parameter on a computer in the domain area-51zone and site Area-51zone-HQ, and wait for replication to complete.

Elapsed Time: 00:00:02

Client Access Role Prerequisites
      Failed

Error:
      Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Exchange organization-level objects have not been created, and setup cannot create them because the local computer is not in the same domain and site as the schema master. Run setup with the /prepareAD parameter on a computer in the domain area-51zone and site Area-51Zone-HQ, and wait for replication to complete.

Mailbox Role Prerequisites
      Failed

Error:

Comment

Originally posted by toms88 View Post
        Excuse my ignorance here but does that mean a partial install of Exchange on the HQ site, to the point where its ready to install, wait for those changes to replicate to my second site and then run the installer again.
        No, running setup with the "/prepareAD" switch simply extends the schema. No files of any kind are installed on the server.

Originally posted by toms88 View Post
        Could you clarify exactly how i run the setup with the /prepareAD parameter? Very nervous about messing up my environment here as im learning as i go and don't currently have any backups running on my servers!
        1. Open an administrative command prompt (right-click and select "Run as administrator")

2. Change to the drive/directory where the Exchange "setup.exe" file resides.

3. Type setup /prepareAD and press Enter

Comment

Working...
        X