No announcement yet.

HP 9050 32bit driver sharing, wot no driver inf file ?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP 9050 32bit driver sharing, wot no driver inf file ?

Hi All, I am trying to setup up additional drivers on a Win 2008 R2 server for 32 bit clients.

There only appears to be the dreaded HP Universal Printer Driver available for download.

The problem comes when i have installed the the 64 bit driver (PCL, PS or HP UPD) onto the server, at the point i want to add some the additional 32 bit drivers.

The only drivers available are HP UPD and even though the HP UPD 32 bit download expands to its constituent files. There is no inf that will actually add the driver to the printer.

I cannot imagine i am the first to come across this. Despite searching i have come up with nothing.

Are there equivalent Microsoft drivers i could use ? If so do you have a link?

Re: HP 9050 32bit driver sharing, wot no driver inf file ?

Add the UPD in Dynamic Mode to the server and then go to printer properties and search the network for the printer you have. It should identify it correctly. Then add the 32bit UPD to that printer.

That's always worked for me with HP printers and the UPD anyway! Make sure you're using the latest version of the UPD as well.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: HP 9050 32bit driver sharing, wot no driver inf file ?

Thanks. I think HP UPD brings it's own fun and features too though.

In the end i used Ricoh equivalent drivers.

Below is shamelessly and very thankfully ripped from The Lazy SA (

The Ultimate Fix For HP’s Awful Print Drivers: Stop Using Them (The Drivers)
      If you deal with HP LaserJet printers in a network setting at work, you might be aware that HP’s printer drivers are an unmitigated disaster. The latest and worst problem we’ve had with HP’s print drivers is the print spooler hanging after a user installs a network printer via Microsoft’s “Point and Print” method. When this hang occurs, no other printer can be installed until the print spooler service is restarted. This scenario started happening to us after we upgraded our print server from Windows Server 2003 to 2008 R2. We struggled with it for two months before finally finding a relatively simple solution: don’t use HP drivers.

I struggled for weeks trying to find a solution. I found several threads going back to 2011 from people describing this problem but in every case, the thread would end with no one having a definitive solution, or the solution being a crappy workaround like “reboot” or “restart the print spooler”. It became apparent that HP’s drivers are simply broken, and given the amount of time this issue has been present with HPs drivers, I don’t hold out any hope that it will be fixed any time soon.

To verify that the driver was in fact causing the issue, I created a test copy of the printer on the print server and instead of the HP driver, assigned a Ricoh driver that belonged to a huge multi-function machine that we lease. The test printer with the Ricoh driver installed over and over for user after user with no problem. While basic, one-sided printing worked fine with Ricoh driver, the printer properties dialogue displayed all of the options available on the multi-function machines (like stapling and hole punching), leaving it unsuitable for public use.

I visited Ricoh’s site and found a Monochrome Laser Printer, the Ricoh Aficio SP 6330N, that matched our HP Printer’s features (two trays, a bypass tray and a duplexing unit). I assigned the PCL6 driver for the 6330N to our HP LaserJet 9050dn, and lo and behold, all printing features worked perfectly. The only drawbacks are that you have configure the device features (trays, duplexing unit, etc.) manually when you set it up on the server and the tray numbers on the driver do not match up with the hardware. The later problem was solved by a couple of custom labels.

In case you are wondering if this can be done with a color LaserJet printer, the PCL6 driver for the Ricoh Aficio SP C431DN matched up quite nicely with our HP Color LaserJet CP3505dn.

For our smaller LaserJet models with no features like the 2100n and 3005n, I chose the PCL6 driver for the Ricoh Aficio 3500N. The 3500N driver is much smaller and takes less time to install than the more featureful 6330N driver.

Finally, I don’t mean to come across as a Ricoh salesman here. Ricoh just happened to be the other brand of printer we have in use and the driver was already installed on the server. In a thread regarding this issue, one irate IT person posted that in response to this problem they had replaced all of their HP printers with Dell printers (are you listening HP?) and that the Dell print drivers work perfectly, so go with what you are familiar with.

Going forward we will never buy another HP Printer.(424)