No announcement yet.

Cant Join NEW PC to AD on Upgraded 03 to 08 R2 SVR

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant Join NEW PC to AD on Upgraded 03 to 08 R2 SVR

OK I have searched forever and nothing really fixes anything I may be over the creek here.

We had a fully working but old windows 2003 Server with exchange and active directors on it, all worked perfectly....
    Then we upgraded to new server with 2008 R2 moved roles and exchange accounts over to the new box, tested all we could think of and demoted the failing old server (still have it but it is boxed away and not a DC) recently we tried to add a new workstation (Win 7 Pro) it could not contact the AD DC, can ping, tried static DNS, nslookup and all that jazz, DNS is very weird look to it, it has two zones one is doman name FB and one is _msdcs.FB both are local.
    I can ping server.FB and such but nothing will allow me to add a PC to this domain I have tried 3 new Win7 Pro PCs all clean install, and not using any AD PCs currently in it.

Re: Cant Join NEW PC to AD on Upgraded 03 to 08 R2 SVR

I know this is a stupid question for me to ask, but I will ask anyway..
    Are you using the DOMAIN Admins account to join your workstation?

What is the error message? can you share?

Have you try to join using FQDN? for example if your DC is
    They try to join your workstation with full domain. my.local instead of Just putting "my"

What is your workstation DNS setting? does it point to the correct DNS server on the new dc? or it still point to old PC? Make sure you correct this issue.

Sorry not that easy. i have tried domain.local and domain. the dns is pointed to new server ip. i pinged successfully server.domain and server. nslookup shows the correct info and when i type nslookup domain it shows ok.
      It doesn't ask for the user for joining the domain it goes directly to this error :
      The domain name "fb" might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain "fb":

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fb

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:

However no domain controllers could be contacted.

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) or (AAAA) records that map the names of the domain controllers to their IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running.

Also here is DCDIAG /TESTNS
      Directory Server Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
      Trying to find home server...
      Home Server = SERVER
      * Identified AD Forest.
      Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\SERVER
      Starting test: Connectivity
      ......................... SERVER passed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\SERVER

Starting test: DNS

DNS Tests are running and not hung. Please wait a few minutes...
      ......................... SERVER passed test DNS

Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones

Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones

Running partition tests on : Schema

Running partition tests on : Configuration

Running partition tests on : FB

Running enterprise tests on : FB
      Starting test: DNS
      Test results for domain controllers:

Domain: FB

TEST: Dynamic update (Dyn)
      Warning: Failed to delete the test record dcdiag-test-record i
      n zone FB

......................... FB passed test DNS
      Last edited by chspyder; 26th February 2014, 04:54.

Looks like you're using a single label domain name.

In that case you either need WINS or you need to configure all computers with the following reg:

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Thanks for the heads up and I can add the reg key easily, but as for wins I am not familiar with it, should I go that way?
          I added WINS setup reverse and forward lookup, couldn't get it to work added reg dword works like a charm!
          Is this a problem I should worry about (try to fix to a non single label dns?)

Thanks Tons!
          Last edited by chspyder; 26th February 2014, 19:03.

I would recommend to setup a WINS server. I usually do it on the same server with my DNS server which is the Domain Controller. Its pretty straight forward. That way you don't have to manually make the regedit on all the computer.
            Here is the link if you needed.

On the other note:Jeremy, that was pretty good. I will make note of your solution for future troubleshooting.