Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving server to new physical address

Hi guys
    I have inherited an issue that I need to sort out and am having problems, please help.
    We have recently moved offices and I have been asked to move the server. We have 8 clients and a server running Windows server 2008 R2.
    The problem I have is that the old office had all internet and routers supplied by the mother organisation. We have broken away and are setting up the office independently.
    We have set up a broadband account and been supplied with a router but obviously all the ip addresses and ranges are different. To cut a long story short the only way I can get access to the internet is by using the new router for dhcp. But this seems to cause problems with clients logging into the domain. When I try to set up Server 2008 for dhcp I lose internet connection. I would very much prefer to have the server handling dhcp but am struggling getting the settings right.
    I can answer any other questions you may have rather than try to explain all the things I have done to try to fix this.
    Please help
    Cheers
    Kevin

Re: moving server to new physical address

It sounds as if you need to reconfigure the DHCP scope in the server to give the correct gateway address. Other changes may be needed

Suggest you get your local computer shop / indie consultant to have a quick look - I would not expect it to take more than an hour or so to do
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for that, Ive reset the range to include the address of the new router, as I've using the router for dhcp all the clients now have new addresses within the range. But when I transfer these details over to server to 2008 and disable dhcp in the router we lose the internet

Comment

can you post an IPCONFIG/ALL from
        a) a client with router provided DHCP - gets internet
        b) ditto with server provided DHCP - no internet
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi I will do that next time I'm in. I am trying to fix these issues at weekend so as not to disrupt the work. At the moment the clients have internet access and after several reboots and attempts to login they usually manage to eventually get access to the domain. Another point is that the clients using Windows XP seem to have fewer problems than those using Windows 7. It seems Windows 7 never manages to login to the domain at the first attempt

Comment

Ossian is correct. And I want to help elaborate the steps further to help you out.

It sound like you have a conflicting DHCP server. Here are the issues.
            1. ISP router is the DHCP server (different subnet)
            2. Win2k8 is a DHCP server with wrong gateway or different subnet.

So when your workstations are rebooted, it query for DHCP server. If it get lucky to hit the ISP router, then bampppppp they can get online.
            If they are unlucky and hit the win2k8 server HDCP.. then they wont able to get online.

Here how you can solved this..

1. Find out what is your ISP router IP(if you dont know, go to one of the pc that have internet access.. and go to CMD and type IPCONFIG. It will display the Gateay.) that is your Router IP address(also your internal gateway)

2. Access the router IP address from that workstation that has Internet access. If you dont know the username and password on the router. You can google the model or call your ISP to get the info.

3. Find the section something like "DHCP" server or enabled. select the disable DHCP server.

4. If the router IP is on a different subnet with your internal network. You can reconfigure your router LAN address to match your Internal network. I.E. Your server is 192.168.1.100. You should give your router LAN address 192.168.1.x. (most network either use the first usable IP or the Last. also know as Gatway address. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254)

5. Save router configuation.

6. Go to your win2k8 server(DHCP server)
            7. Configure a static IP address. and specify the Gateway address to use the Router address on step 4.
            8. DNS make sure you the valid internal DNS address as a primary. and you can use public dns on the alternative (4.2.2.2)
            9. Save the configuration on your server. and try to access the Internet from that server. or ping the external IP. i.e 4.2.2.2 If you can access the Internet or you can ping. Then you are good to go with the first step configuration.
            10. configure your DHCP scope with the LAN SCOPE and Correct gateway which is your Router IP address.

11. Go to one of the client (either reboot or do IPCONFIG /release then IPCONFIG /renew from CMD)
            12. Try to access the Internet again on that client or ping your Router IP specified on step 4.

That is a basic configuration to get your network up and running.

Thanks,
            HN

Comment

Excellent reply many thanks for that. I think I've spotted where I might have an issue...
              I have pretty much been going round in circles doing all the things mentioned in the previous post for about a month now and never resolve the issue. However what I have noticed in the last comment is where you say that if the router uses a different subnet to the server you should reconfigure the router to match the server. When this move originally took place I think the mover actually did the opposite, he tried to reset the server subnet to match the routers and I think he must have missed something. For example, could he have left the DNS server set at the old address
              The original server subnet was 10.32.83.x the new router is 192.168.1.x
              He has tried to put the server onto the 192 subnet.
              If he did this could someone give me a step by step on how he should have done it so that I can go through it and check he did everything correctly.
              Many many thanks again,

Comment

To simplify the step. You should just change your Router LAN IP to the same subnet as your Server IP schema/Internal Network schema. That way you dont have to track all the computers/servers/switches and other application that have a static IP assign etc.

If you change your Router LAN IP to 10.32.83.1 and point your DHCP Gateway to 10.32.83.1 then everything should works. Better yet, if you know the previous netwok getway IP then you can assign your router to that IP.

If you dont know how to change your Router IP. You should contact your ISP provider. they should able to assist you on that. After all, what is what you are paying them for right?

Comment

Ok I understand but unfortunately I think everything is now on the new range, all the printers etc have been reconfigured with static addresses etc. Is there something on the actual server I need to change, I particularly am thinking of the DNS which is not being updated by clients so I think the problem may be there somehow

Comment

You nail it there. If the DNS is incorrect. You will have a lot of issues with computer names etc..

This is required a bit of troubleshooting, and we need to know your infrastructure.

Here are a few questions that you can help us to help you.

1. Do you have Active Directory?

2. Do you have DNS server?

3. If you do, is it intergrated with AD or standalone?

4. If you do have DNS, which server hold the DNS role? IP?

5. Go to your DHCP server. Open up the DHCP manager.

6. Look at the DNS property to make sure it pointed to the correct DNS server.

* On the client computer. Open the CMD type IPCONFIG /ALL
                    * look for the lines: Primary DNS and Alternative DNS.
                    * Verify if that DNS address correct. if not go to step 6.
                    * Restart the computer or run CMD type IPCONFIG /flushdns then IPCONFIG registerdns.

that is a quick trouble shooting. sorry, without seeing your network configuration is kinda hard to give you the steps.

Comment

When you reconfigured the DHCP service on the SBS server, did you change the DNS server option to point to the new IP address of the SBS server?

Also, did you check the DNS configuration on the SBS server to make sure the DNS servers of the old ISP weren't still being used as forwarders?

Comment

Please don'e apologize I REALLY appreciate your help here.
                        OK so I'll answer your questions as best as I can but I am not actually in the office at the moment, I am trying to apply fixes at weekends to avoid interrupting the people working, but I do have remote access to the server.
                        The set up is as follows
                        1x server running Windows server 2008 R2, -This has Active Directory running, DNS role running and DHCP role currently running with scope disabled. (I have previously had this set with DHCP disabled to allow the router to handle dhcp but was advised having it running on server with scope disabled would fix the problem (it didn't)).
                        4x clients running Winodws XP
                        4x clients running Windows 7 Pro
                        3x Printers with static IP addresses

I think the DNS is integrated with active directory but could you tell me how to check that please.

Comment

I am looking at the dhcp manager but I cannot see anywhere that I can change the dns settings, am I in the wrong place?
                          I go to start - Administrative tools - DHCP and get a window showing the server but no mention of the dns settings for that server, when I click properties I just get a browse box that points at a database path.

Comment

Another update,
                            I just did an ipconfig /all on the server and it has the Default gateway, DHCP server and DNS server all set to the same address. This is obviously wrong. They are all pointing at the router. How do I fix this, and will this be the underlying problem here?

Comment

The DNS zone is almost certainly AD integrated, but you can verify this if you wish from the DNS management console. Open the Properties page for the DNS zone in question, and the General tab should tell you if it's AD integrated or not.

You should open the Properties page for the DNS server itself and check the Forwarders tab. If the DNS servers of the previous ISP are specified as forwarders, they will have to be removed.

Edit: Don't change the settings on the server until you've verified that the local DNS server works.

Comment

Working...
                              X