Issues with RDP Licensing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with RDP Licensing

I've just installed the Remote Desktop Services role onto server 2008R2, configured a Remote Desktop license server, everything went ok. The license diagnostics tool is showing number of licenses available for clients = 10, licensing mode is Per User. Everything looks ok but then Im now seeing a message pop up in the systems tray saying the server isn't licensed. Ive rebooted the server.

Checking the logs I can see an error saying:

The remote desktop session host server does not have a remote desktop license server specified. To specify a license server for the remote desktop session host server, use the remote desktop session host configuration tool

Ive already done this..... does anyone know how I can resolve this?

Re: Issues with RDP Licensing

Did you configure the RDSH server to point to the license server (itself) or did you just install the RD License role?

To check this, open the Remote Desktop Session Host configuration. From there you can configure which license server it uses. You can also click on Licensing Diagnosis and it will tell you what's wrong with the licensing configuration.
    Last edited by JeremyW; 25th February 2014, 22:18.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I installed the role & configured the license server, it said it connected ok. I checked the license diagnostics then said x10 licenses available. From what I can see its saying its licensed but then I keep getting a pop up message saying its running on a temp license & will expire.

I had a few issues with the firewall when I first input the license server details as its on a different subnet so the networks team had to open up the firewall but as soon as they added the rules the license server connected ok.

Comment

So the licensing mode of the server is per user? Are the installed RDCALs user or device?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I just checked the license server and there are per user CALS available.

They are showing as:

Windows Server 2008 - Installed Per User CALs

I ran a report on them and it shows:

10 Installed
          8 In Use
          Availability = Limited

To ask a daft question..... The server Im trying to license is Windows Server 2008 R2 but the CALS only say Windows Server 2008. Do I need Server 2008 R2 CALs?

Comment

Windows 2008 TS CALs can be used for a Windows 2008 R2 RDSH server.

So it sounds like things are correct. Have you gone through the event log to see what errors there are?

Also check out this article: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...um=winserverTS
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

While you can use a Windows Server 2008 TS License server to issue Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS CAL's to a Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS host, you must have Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS CAL's to issue. You cannot use Windows Server 2008 TS CAL's for a Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS host.

Do you have Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS CAL's installed on your TS License Server?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                While you can use a Windows Server 2008 TS License server to issue Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS CAL's to a Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS host, you must have Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS CAL's to issue. You cannot use Windows Server 2008 TS CAL's for a Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS host.

Do you have Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS CAL's installed on your TS License Server?
                I don't think that's accurate. The 2008 TSCAL and the 2008 R2 RDSCAL is interchangeable. The license sever should issue a license to users on a RDSH server even if it only has TSCALs installed. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ty-matrix.aspx
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I spoke to our MS license contact and it looks like we need specific CALS for Server 2008 R2. The Server 2008 CALS aren't compatible.

I'm just waiting on them being made available to download on our portal & then I'll post the results.

Comment

Working...
                  X