Reset BIOS Password before installing fresh copy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reset BIOS Password before installing fresh copy

I have a server that had registry errors so I had to reformat the hard drive.
    I have a fresh copy of Windows Server 2008 Standard.
    I have forgot the password to BIOS and was wondering if I remove the battery on the motherboard would that reset the password.
    I know doing that would delete all the driver information.
    The USB ports would are hard wired into the motherboard and BIOS should still be in control of them.
    So if I install Windows Server 2008 Standard thru the USB then I should be alright.

Re: Reset BIOS Password before installing fresh copy

Many motherboards have a BIOS reset jumper - check the manual
    This should remove the password as well as returning to default settings

Also you may be able to go into the BIOS in "read only" mode and document settings before resetting
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Philosophaie View Post
      I have forgot the password to BIOS and was wondering if I remove the battery on the motherboard would that reset the password.
      I know doing that would delete all the driver information.
      I've never heard this before ?

deleting driver information ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I assumed he meant to delete information on installed devices (ports etc) but am now wondering....

@Philosophaie - why do you need to get into the BIOS anyway?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Reset the BIOS password will only reset your custom BIOS settings, it would not effecting your OS drivers.

Becareful, let say your server BIOS has been modified to run RAID configuration. But the defualt setting was using non-RAID. You will run into an issue of booting or let the BIOS recognize the setting..

The BIOS password setup by the Admin for a reason. Maybe they don't want anyone else to change the settings without knowing the settings.

Comment

Working...
          X