Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server migration 2003 to 2008R

Hi there,

We need help migrating from a 2003 server to a 2008R. No data base, or anything else, just the active directory.
    Could you recommend anyone for this job ?

Thank you, Alex

Re: Server migration 2003 to 2008R

Hi alexandru1900,

Are you asking for a consultant ? Petri isn't a marketplace for consultants as such.

That said, if you'd like to provide a little more info (what country are you ocated in, what price are you expecting to pay) then there might be some interested people - myself among them.
    Last edited by tehcamel; 15th February 2014, 07:26.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

OK, after consultation on the moderator forums, the opinion is that if anyone offers to help you, that's fine - all at your/their own risk and without the board assuming any liability for whatever happens.

Perhaps you could post where in the world you are, if you require on-site or remote support and, most importantly, an indication of what you are willing to pay for the work.

Also an indication of your experience and if you are wanting a few hints and tips or to outsource all the work.

If you want a freebie, the rough process is:
      Build 2008R2 server
      Join to domain
      On 2003 server, run ADPREP to upgrade AD schema
      DCPromo new server and make a GC
      Add DNS, DHCP, any other roles...
      Wait for replication and testing
      DCPromo old server to remove roles
      Test again
      Enjoy a well earned
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you,

I am in south Florida, the new server (2008R) is on, part of our network. I moved all the software, database ... etc to new server. There are about 20 work stations, and 3 servers in this network. 2003, old domain server, new 2008R and
        a RDT 2008R server.
        I have absolutely no idea how much $$ this type of job requires, ... but we have no problem paying ... a fair price.

Alex

in

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        Hi alexandru1900,

Are you asking for a consultant ? Petri isn't a marketplace for consultants as such.

That said, if you'd like to provide a little more info (what country are you ocated in, what price are you expecting to pay) then there might be some interested people - myself among them.

Comment

You should also look into the local consultant firm. Where you can do face to face meeting and planning. They should able to give you an estimate on how much the project cost. But when you get consultant.. you are paying double of the wages.
          Maybe you should get with temp agency to get a contract temp for 1month with the appropriate skill sets.

Just a thought..

Comment

I already did, here in Florida nobody calls back, I call 2-3 local companies,
            they even ask for pics of different computer screens, I called them back, left
            messages, emails ... nothing

I might just setup a new active directory, users and rejoin all the computers....

Originally posted by Humannetwork View Post
            You should also look into the local consultant firm. Where you can do face to face meeting and planning. They should able to give you an estimate on how much the project cost. But when you get consultant.. you are paying double of the wages.
            Maybe you should get with temp agency to get a contract temp for 1month with the appropriate skill sets.

Just a thought..

Comment

Originally posted by alexandru1900 View Post
              I already did, here in Florida nobody calls back, I call 2-3 local companies,
              they even ask for pics of different computer screens, I called them back, left
              messages, emails ... nothing

I might just setup a new active directory, users and rejoin all the computers....
              Check your PM.

Comment

check freelancer and elance and guru.com as well.
                You should be able to find US based subcontractors there.

for a good contractor though, I'd expect to pay in the region of $100 an hour or more. (I don't think I'm unreasonable here)

you may be able to negotiate a fixed fee.

Your consultant should ideally give you a project plan, outlining what they plan on doing, time frames, rollbacks if it goes wrong, post-implementation support.

planning could take some time - if they tell you it takes any less than 10 hours (including planning etc) then they are likely to be winging it and making it up as they go.

[this is just my view - others are free to provide feedback]

if you were based in Australia, or at least roughly this time zone, I'd be in touch further - but I've just filled out my next 3 weeks as it us (unexpectedly!) so i'd struggle to get it done (plus, time zone difference!)
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                X