D:\i386 When Adding 86 Print Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D:\i386 When Adding 86 Print Driver

This has happened several times with a printer that i have installed on the server.

Printer works fine, but in sharing, additional drivers, when adding a 86 driver, i get the box "PLEASE PROVIDE PATH.....COPY FILES FROM ........D:\i386.

I have the proper driver, i installed it on my 32 bit xp computer, and printed fine by adding the printer by tcp on my computer.

I am trying to add this driver, so when i share the printer on the server, an xp machine can receive the drivers and install .

Any ideas

Thanks
    Last edited by Kobe 310; 11th February 2014, 21:15.

Re: D:\i386 When Adding 86 Print Driver

I believed you need to put your OS CD in to install the addons DLL file to support x86 platform on x64. I thought I did run into this issue a few years back.

Thanks,
    Saray

Comment

You can add the driver directly to the print server fairly simply. Open the Printers and Faxes window. Without selecting a device, go to the File menu item at the top of the window, and select 'Server properties'. The dialog that opens has tabs for drivers and ports. Assuming the driver you have is a collection of files with a *.inf file in the list, go to the Drivers tab and start the Add Driver dialog. Point to that *.inf file in the browser window and click 'Open'. Acknowledge the messages to complete.

If your driver file is just an executable program by itself, have a look to see if that EXE can be 'administratively installed', which means it extracts itself to a folder and then stops. That creates your list of files for the driver upload described above. Usually the admin install switch is simply '/a' following the EXE file name, like "program.exe /a". You may have to provide a destination path in the cmd line I just gave you, or you may be presented with an Explorer window to navigate to the desired location, depends on the application.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

thanks for your reply,

I tried that way as well, and i get

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

i checked the 86 box when trying to upload drivers.

Comment

Humannetwork

don't have a cd, i wonder what the difference is, drivers came straight from Xerox website?

Comment

You can use Print Manager from a 32 bit PC and point the console to the Print server. You should then be able to add the X86 driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
              You can use Print Manager from a 32 bit PC and point the console to the Print server. You should then be able to add the X86 driver.

That's how i'm trying to add the printer, but it says there is no available drivers. I can add the driver from a different location, but i would like to have the server automatically install it.

Comment

Then it sounds like it's going to need access to the operating system setup files. If you don't have a disc and the i386 folder isn't saved to the hard drive, you'll need to get them from somewhere. There may be some files in there that the OS needs in order to accommodate the 32-bit drivers.

Comment

Found an answer and worked!!!!!

Recommend to everyone, seems this is a big issue, a lot of people having same problem in past.

http://techsugar.wordpress.com/2011/...r-2008-64-bit/

Comment

Working...
                  X