Active Directory Migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Migration

I am running Windows Server 2008 R2, and I have Exchange Server 2010 with Active Directory both installed on the same physical server. What is the procedure for moving the Active Directory to a different physical server?

Re: Active Directory Migration

Basically, be very careful!
    Exchange on a DC has all sorts of problems when you demote the DC and can break badly. The normal solution is to remove Exchange, unPromo and then reinstall Exchange

Adding an additional DC is no problem - in fact get that done early, but for issues with the demote (I'll post some links later)
    EDIT - lots of links:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ex...B:IE-SearchBox
    Last edited by Ossian; 10th February 2014, 19:12.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agreed with Ossian that you have to becareful on demoting the DC box that has exchange installed. It can be done, but it can be very messy.

I would recommend promote another DC box then transfer all the FSMO rolls to the new box (It recommended that you split the FSMO rolls to 2 DCs if you can). Then leave the DC running with Exchange box without any FSMO roll and do more research or replicate in your test environments to demote the DC from Exchange. if you break in your test environment then there is not heart feel

HN

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'd appreciate seeing the links to demote issues.

Comment

When I originally installed Exchange Server 2010 I had limited hardware available (we are a very small company, under 30 employees). Now I have an additional server available. What would be a better scenario for Exchange / Active Directory at this point? Move Active Directory to the new server, or would it be better to leave them on the same server, and use the second server as an additional DC and move some of the FSMOs to that new server?

Comment

For ease (and assuming the server specs are similar), make the new server a DC / DNS/DHCP / anything else you can move off the Exchange box, transfer the FSMOs, and leave the current server as Exchange/DC. Almost anything else would need 3 servers, at least temporarily, as you create a new Exchange, new DC, remove Exchange from the original, unPromo, then put Exchange back on.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X