DC replication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC replication

I have 2 DCs Win2008R2. It replicated < 10GBs data everynights. Does anyone know what is the easiest way to see what data it has been replicating between the 2 DCs?
    It use Microsoft-ds TCP port 445.

Thanks,
    HN

Re: DC replication

http://windowsitpro.com/active-direc...waiting-almost

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

[MOD EDIT - I have restored this post (deleted by the owner after my post below) as it contains a useful link (although maybe not immediately useful to the OP). Note that my comment below was not criticism, just a suggestion that some information over and above the link might have been useful]
    Last edited by Ossian; 7th February 2014, 17:30.

Comment

7th February 2014 07:10 VMware
      http://windowsitpro.com/active-direc...waiting-almost

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
      and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts
      So have you used this tool, or have any other relevant input for the OP?

If i read the OP right, his issue is the volume of replication (10Gb seems a bit large).

Normally AD replication should include the database (or rather the modifications - by USN - since the previous replication) and the contents of the Sysvol and NetLogon shares (using DFS so changed content only). From my experience, unless the organisation is massive, 10Gb seems absolutely OTT - perhaps we could get a feel on organisation size?

IMHO begin by reviewing the two shares and ensuring they aren't being used for any files etc, also check their absolute sizes and start looking deeper.
      Last edited by Ossian; 7th February 2014, 13:36.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        So have you used this tool, or have any other relevant input for the OP?

If i read the OP right, his issue is the volume of replication (10Gb seems a bit large).

Normally AD replication should include the database (or rather the modifications - by USN - since the previous replication) and the contents of the Sysvol and NetLogon shares (using DFS so changed content only). From my experience, unless the organisation is massive, 10Gb seems absolutely OTT - perhaps we could get a feel on organisation size?

IMHO begin by reviewing the two shares and ensuring they aren't being used for any files etc, also check their absolute sizes and start looking deeper.
        This replication size is large. I don't think it is right.. As you mentioned. the replication should be only AD database, sysvol ect.. which it should be fair small.
        We have less than 1500 users. I used repadmin to do some tracking, everything looks fine but I don't see anything that can tell me the size of the replication and whatever its been replicate.
        Our DC doesnt do any files share etc..

I want to find out what is been replicate and how big beside the AD/sysvol replication..
        Please share if anyone have any tools/utility and I can dig into a bit deeper.

Thanks,
        HN

Comment

Have you examined the contents of Sysvol and Netlogon to see if someone might have snuck something in there?

Comment

That was my thought too...
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I checked both contents.. They are very mininal.. like less than 20MB. It's odd that the replication size is so high..
              I'm still digging around....

Thanks,
              HN

Comment

Interesting. Try this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=30005

The last bullet point is what sold me: "Allow replication data to be exported to source or destination domain administrators or support professionals for offline analysis"

Comment

I suggested the same tool. but Mr. ossian commented on this.what a fantastic comment.......! thanks for his comment. Data size is not an issue in replication. those you are knowledge in ad replication they will know about this. it is a basic thing.it will replicate AD database, sysvol ..etc

a few days back i saw one person he is also having three lines of microsoft,cisco,vmware certification degrees.he is saying he can connect 256 nodes in class c network.what about broadcast and network address.......!

my reply for that type of people:thank you so much for your answer.please take this rose flower for your fantastic answer

[MOD EDIT INAPPROPRIATE LINK REMOVED]

AD Replication Status tool
                  http://windowsitpro.com/active-direc...waiting-almos
                  Last edited by Ossian; 9th February 2014, 08:53.

Comment

Thanks team, I have been digging around in the replication directories and the size of each directory is not alarming.

I think this is what is happening, since the AD replication is happening every 15mins. So our network monitoring tool is calculating the traffic by incrementing the packet size everytime the replication traffic is replicating. It's not neccessary the replication is replicating at # size at one time.

Thanks for everyone input.

HN

Comment

Working...
                    X