FSMO Roles transfer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSMO Roles transfer

Transfer FSMO roles from W2K3 to W2K8 R2 - Should I do another /forestprep if I think it has already been done?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

I've been tasked with transferring FSMO roles from a W2K3 DC to a W2K8R2 DC, our infrastructure contains 3 DCs in 3 different sites; we're a single Domain, single Forest.

2 of the DCs are W2K8, sadly the third DC is a W2K3 Server that still holds all the FSMO roles. the task is to Transfer these roles to one of the W2K8 DCs, the plan is to replace the W2K3 DC with a W2K8 DC so that we have a W2K8 DC in each site.

I'm just wondering whether there's any need to run /Forest Prep before I transfer the roles. I suspect that this has been done already, Is there any harm in doing it again?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Re: FSMO Roles transfer

ADPREP will have run successfully before you promoted the first 2K8 DC, so no need to do anything more before transferring the FSMOs
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks very much for your response, much appreciated.

Just out of Curiosity, will it cause any harm to run it again?

Comment

It shouldn't, just make very sure you run the same version and not, for example, prepare for Server 2012.

Alternatively check the current schema version and convince yourself all is OK:
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/556086
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks, I followed your advise and didn't run /ForestPrep the Roles transfer worked like a charm! I'm so thrilled, Thanks.

Comment

To to verify if all roles are successfully transferred, and the AD replication are all successful.
            After all is fine, how to make changes on the client workstation, or Can we test by unplugging the network from the old DCs.

Comment

Assuming you are using DHCP, set the new DNS servers and wait for clients to pick up the new DNS servers, then decommission the old DCs

You can unplug them, but make sure they are not being used for anything except authentication (DNS, WINS, DHCP), and of course this is temporary, you need to DCPROMO (unPromo) them properly
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X