No announcement yet.

Slow copy speed from 2008R2 to XP

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow copy speed from 2008R2 to XP

Dear All

I tried posting this over on TechNet forums, but no reply. So thought I would give it a try here as this forum came up next on Google.

I know there are many threads on similar issues and we have tried some of those solutions but to no avail. So I hope that this is not a problem starting off a new thread on what may be an old subject as I wanted to isolate our case a little. I was a little worried to jump head first into making changes suggested elsewhere as I don't want to go an upset anything needlessly if there is a more obvious solution that someone can suggest.

To summarise the problem, we are sufffering business effecting slow speeds across the network but from 2008R2 to XP clients only.

We have about 15-20 XP machines still on the network, the rest are either Vista or W7. This problem does not effect any of the other clients.

To try to explain as much as possible about the setup we have (but you may want to know more).

We recently switched from a dedicated 2003 server which was fine (except it had some connection issues and was beginning to labour a little) when copying files.

We now have a server with virtualised 2008R2 domain/file server, SQL server and WIN8 (this just runs lots of scheduled task and will eventually be the e-mail server (we run a 3rd party e-mail server)).

Everything is Gigabit networked, running on different LAN cards/chipsets (we have a variety of different machines and specs so they are not all the same).

The machines running Vista or W7, there is no issue. We can copy files without a problem. As a footnote to that, we did have the same issue on a Vista machine, but we tried enabling IP6 on it and that cured the problem - which goes against what some people were suggesting in other posts that it should be turned off. We tried IP6 on an XP machine in case that was the issue there, but it did not help. We tried disabling IP4 in case it was defaulting to that. But with just IP6 on on the XP machine, it could not see the network at all. So I don't believe that helps, although odd why it did on the Vista machine (a red herring maybe?).

But the XP machines are just so slow. The main issue is that we are a retail outlet. The tills run 'off network' that is to say the data isn't live. If anything changes that requires the tills to be updated, we have to copy the files from the server down to the tills. This is a batch of files, maybe 20 or so. On the old server, this was just a few seconds. Now, just to copy the first 2 files (60mb) takes 7 or 8 mins. The whole process can take 40 mins which is just unacceptable when we need data live as quickly as possible.

The strange thing about this whole problem is that this did not occur for the first 3-4 weeks, it was fine. Then suddenly, one day we had a problem. We rebooted and the problem went away for a few days, then returned. We rebooted again and we maybe had a day or so where it was fine before it happening again. Now, rebooting doesn't help - it appears to be a permanent problem. This means we cannot do any till updates during the day.

We run through 3 Netgear managed switches. But we have eliminated these being an issue as we cabled back directly to an unmanaged switch connected directly to the server with no solution. We don't believe it is a network card issue as we have such a variety of machines that we don't think this could be the case. It looked initially like the server lacked some memory so we bumbed it up by 4GB, but that didn't make much of a difference either although at least it is showing plenty of free memory now.

Nothing else appears slow - SQL is fine for example. It is just file from the 2008R2 server to XP machines that appears to be the issue.

As I previously said, I appreciate that there are other posts about similar problems. But wanted to start a fresh in case this problem was obvious to someone from what I have described. We didn't want to go changing network settings unnecessarily in case we caused further problems. The only adjustment we have made (after seeing this suggested) was turning off SMB 2.0 on the server - but, again, no difference.

Please ask for any other information if I have not provided enough.

Any assistance would be most welcome for this annoying problem.

Last edited by BNGC; 16th January 2014, 13:27.

Re: Slow copy speed from 2008R2 to XP

Since everything was OK for the first 3-4 weeks, the first thing I would tend to suspect would be automatic Microsoft patches. If you go to Windows Update on the server, do you show a series of patches that were installed just before the problem began? If so, then that may be the source of the problem.

Automatic patches rarely come one at a time, so I like to check them against this a patch management listserv archive and see if any other participants there have reported problems with any of them. I'm too new on this forum to be allowed to include URLs, but if you search the web for "patchmanagement", you will find it. You can join the listserv (which is very good) if you like, and there's also a link to the listserv archive along the left side of the page.

I'd do the same thing with any patches that went into the XP machines around the same time, but it can be harder to figure out what those are.

If you do discover that one or more automatic patches are known to cause problems - especially if those problems similar to the ones you're having - try uninstalling them.

Even if you don't discover an obvious smoking gun, you might try doing a System Restore to just before any coincidental patches went in. Sometimes, patches aren't problematic themselves, but something fluky happens during installation.

Mark Lebowitz, Owner
    Lebowitz IT Services LLC
    Chicago, IL

Re: Slow copy speed from 2008R2 to XP

What about the network interfaces in the XP clients? Have you tried updating the BIOS on the XP machines and also ensuring that the drivers for the NIC's are up to date? If that does not work I would buy a dedicated card for a couple of XP clients, install them, update them and see what happens.

I would also look very carefully at *all* the settings on the server network card(s). Check for load balancing options being on or off and change them (document all your settings first), and see if it helps at all.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy