Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blank screen with cursor on 2008 r2 server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blank screen with cursor on 2008 r2 server?

Hello all. I did a restart last night after microsoft updates on my 2008 r2 server. When it restarted, all I have is a cursor and nothing else on screen. I can ping it, cannot remote desktop to it. Nothing. It is my exchange 2010 server and all email is working, all shares show up in network. Boot into safe mode.....same thing? Server is running now yet I cannot get to desktop.......
    Any and all help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,

Re: blank screen with cursor on 2008 r2 server?

Originally posted by maddmikk View Post
    Hello all. I did a restart last night after microsoft updates on my 2008 r2 server. When it restarted, all I have is a cursor and nothing else on screen. I can ping it, cannot remote desktop to it. Nothing. It is my exchange 2010 server and all email is working, all shares show up in network. Boot into safe mode.....same thing? Server is running now yet I cannot get to desktop.......
    Any and all help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Does Last Known Good Configuration work?

Comment

Can you access it from another computer using Remote Desktop Connection or any other remote access product? One of the servers I manage is a Windows 2003 server that sometimes gets cranky and won't display anything on the console screen, but I can log into it using LogMeIn.

Mark Lebowitz, Owner
      Lebowitz IT Services LLC
      Chicago, IL

Comment

The only thing I can do to this server is ping it. I cannot remote desktop or logmein to it. I did manage to get to the event viewer via another server and when it did the updates, 3 of them failed. This is probably what caused the issue. Going to try startup repair via the cd Friday night and see if I can recover. The other option is to maybe install o/s on another drive or upgrade to server 2012 or????????? All input appreciated and thanks for the reply.
        Mike

Comment

no option for last known good configuration

Comment

Can you ctrl+alt+del from the black screen to bring up Task Manager? If so, run 'Explorer.exe' and see what happens.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by maddmikk View Post
              no option for last known good configuration
              There will be.

Press F8 on boot and it should be in the options list where safe mode is.

Comment

Working...
              X