One-Way Pinging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-Way Pinging

We have a small network that was peer-to-peer. I adder a server running Windows Server 2008 R2. The server can see all the workstations and the workstations can all see each other but none of the workstations can see the server. Any ideas?

TIA

Re: One-Way Pinging

You say they can't "see" the server, but in the thread title you mention "ping". The default firewall settings on a 2008 R2 server blocks Echo Request packets, so perhaps it's a firewall issue?

Also, how is name resolution handled in this network?

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
      You say they can't "see" the server, but in the thread title you mention "ping". The default firewall settings on a 2008 R2 server blocks Echo Request packets, so perhaps it's a firewall issue?

Also, how is name resolution handled in this network?
      They can't see the server in the Network list of machines, either. The Win fie server is also handling DNS. It worked as the file server in a previous network and so far no configuration changes have been made to it.

Comment

They don't need to be able to see each other for network access to work. Browsing the network for computers and resources is sketchy at best and even if you implemented a WINS server it's not 100% reliable. Why is it important for you to be able to see the computers when browsing the network?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          They don't need to be able to see each other for network access to work. Browsing the network for computers and resources is sketchy at best and even if you implemented a WINS server it's not 100% reliable. Why is it important for you to be able to see the computers when browsing the network?
          We'd like to map server shared folders on the workstations. Right now we can't map any server shares since we can't see the server!

Comment

What happens when you try to UNC to a shared folder on the server?
            Have you tried the "net use" command to map drives on these machines?

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
              What happens when you try to UNC to a shared folder on the server?
              Have you tried the "net use" command to map drives on these machines?
              Yes. Neither the server's IP address nor the server name work. I wouldn't expect the server name to work, though, since the server is also the DNS server.

Comment

Seeing the server and establishing a connection to the server are two very different things. You DO NOT need to be able to see the server in order to establish a connection to it.

If you cannot map a drive letter to a shared folder on the server then you need to make sure the correct Roles and services and firewall rules are configured.

Did you add the File Server role to the server?

Have you enabled File and Printer sharing on the server?

Have you enabled network discovery on the server?

Is the Windows Firewall on the server configured correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by TomL_12953 View Post
                  Yes. Neither the server's IP address nor the server name work. I wouldn't expect the server name to work, though, since the server is also the DNS server.
                  A combination of missing name resolution and unsupported authentication protocols may be an issue here. I seem to remember that authenticating against the IP address of a Windows computer requires a version of the NTLM dialect that is disabled by default in the most recent versions of Windows Server.

What happens when you run this command from the command line:
                  Code:
                  net use \\<server_name>\ipc$ /USER:<server_user>
                  Substitute the computer name of the server for <server_name> and a user account on the server for <server_user>.

Comment

Originally posted by What happens when you run this command from the command line:[code
                    net use \\<server_name>\ipc$ /USER:<server_user>[/code]Substitute the computer name of the server for <server_name> and a user account on the server for <server_user>.
                    I get
                    System error 59 has occurred.
                    An unexpected network error occurred.

Tom L

P.S. It's not unexpected to me!

Comment

Originally posted by TomL_12953 View Post
                      I get
                      System error 59 has occurred.
                      An unexpected network error occurred.
                      That's a name resolution problem. Without name resolution, you won't be able to connect to the server by name. Since connecting to the IP address is probably out of the question (see my previous post), this needs to be fixed.

To verify that this is indeed what's causing the problem, add the IP address and the server's NetBIOS name to the "hosts" file (or the "LMHOSTS" file) on the client. Just put the information on a line by itself, like this:
                      Code:
                      192.168.1.100          SERVERNAME
                      These files reside in the %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc directory, and you'll need admin privileges to edit them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
                        That's a name resolution problem. Without name resolution, you won't be able to connect to the server by name. Since connecting to the IP address is probably out of the question (see my previous post), this needs to be fixed.

To verify that this is indeed what's causing the problem, add the IP address and the server's NetBIOS name to the "hosts" file (or the "LMHOSTS" file) on the client. Just put the information on a line by itself, like this:
                        Code:
                        192.168.1.100          SERVERNAME
                        These files reside in the %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc directory, and you'll need admin privileges to edit them.
                        Even with that line in the HOSTS file, the workstations don't see the server. I can't ping the IP address or computer name nor can I map a network drive located on the server and shared. The server, however, can see all the workstations. This server worked fine on its first network so I know the Active Domain, DHCP and DNS roles work.

Comment

I would expect this with the Windows Firewall enabled.

Can you please verify, has been asked at least twice that I can see, that:

a) The firewall is completely disabled. You need to turn off the firewall in the firewall config and disable or set the service to manual and stop.

b) You have configured the firewall correctly for your environment.

IMHO you would be better turning off and disabling the firewall while we test.

Comment

Working...
                          X