netdom add computer name - file server consolidation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• netdom add computer name - file server consolidation

When I use "netdom add computer name" to add the name of an existing (Windows Server 2003) member server to a new Windows 2008 AD DC box I get all manner of errors.

If I use the same syntax to add a fictional machine name it accepts the command without incident.

So logic dictates that I need to remove all instances of the server-to-be-demoted from within DNS and possibly elsewhere to be able to use the "netdom add computer name" successfully.

None of the documentation and articles that I can find goes through this - typically they all adopt the "all you need to do is..." approach and detail the command syntax without mentioning any other steps that may have to be taken.

Has anyone ever done this and, if so, how did you go about it ?

I have three Windows Server 2003 file servers to consolidate onto one Windows Server 2008 box. One is a DC and the other two are member servers. I can move the files and permissions with the file server migration utility - somewhat surprisingly it moved close on a million files without dropping anything in the process when I tested it. That leaves adding the computer name and IP address of the old servers onto the new one, and that's where it's going adrift at the moment.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks for looking

Re: netdom add computer name - file server consolidation

Originally posted by NDR View Post
    That leaves adding the computer name and IP address of the old servers onto the new one, and that's where it's going adrift at the moment.
    The netdom command will add an object to AD. You can't add an object with the same name as an existing object. That's why your command is failing.

You need to update all your share paths to the new location. You may want to us a DFS namespace. That way at the next migration it won't matter what the server name is.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

That's what I figured - DFS is not an option at present, a situation I inherited... (long story) so I guess that leaves removing the existing 2003 file servers from member and DC status within the domain and then using the netdom command to add them to the new 2008 server.

Comment

Yes, you'll need to remove the existing servers before adding the names to the other server.

Also, you should be using netdom computername and not netdom add.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc835082.aspx
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X