X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time sync on hyperv 2008 r2

Hi all and Merry Christmas,

Situation:
    We have a standalone test environment which is 2 clustered hyper v ha servers running 2 dcs, in essence I would like to use one of the host machines as a time server, this I have no problem with, but is their a way to stop said host server (which is a member of the domain) from getting a time update from the domain, e.g. I would like it to just look after its own time from the cmos clock, then I will get the PDC to get its time from the host server, and in turn all the clients and members will get their time from the PDC, I have no internet access.

Many thanks

Empi

Hohoho merry Christmas

Re: Time sync on hyperv 2008 r2

That is not best practice - ideally you should have the DC holding the PDCEmulator FSMO get its time from an external source and then the remainder of the domain get from the PDC Emulator.

In your environment, you will have to untick the "Synchronise VM with host" option in settings first to prevent it pulling in the host time.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agree but this is only development, I have unticked the sync vm with host box but what I am after is a way of stopping the host server (member of the domain) from getting its time from the DC

Comment

http://serverfault.com/questions/356...ain-controller may help
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Actually, once you get the host being the authority for the time, there's no reason to not sync the VM time.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X