Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Domain doubt

Hi,
    Before going to create a child domain for a domain we have to create the backup domain for the domain(windows server2008R2) .Is this true

please clarify

Re: Child Domain doubt

I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking, but in general all you should do before making any major change to AD is to back up at least one DC (ideally the FSMO holder) so you can revert to the old configuration via an authoritative restore.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I created a domain in windows server 2008r2. after that without creating additional (backup) domain for that I am trying creating a child domain for the domain.
      During the installation of child domain after entering the network credentials I getting the wizard (select a domain for this additional domain controller). it is going to create an additional domain (backup) domain for the domain.

(I am performing this in virtual machine for practice)

Comment

So you created a child domain under the forest root domain -- this is perfectly normal.

Still struggling to see what the problem is...
        Perhaps you can post a screen shot which might help
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i guess you will be prompted with the option of primary domain controller to select a domain, if it is so, then select primary domain controller for the child domain then click next. No need to create any back up or secondary domain controller and under the primary domain you can create many child domain, so no need to worry, have fun

Comment

Active Directory has never had the concept of primary and backup domain controllers -- all domain controllers are equal (but some are more equal than others )

Creating a child domain is simply an option when creating a new domain controller, but it should be carefully planned for rather than done "for the sake of it"
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by VMware View Post
              Hi,
              Before going to create a child domain for a domain we have to create the backup domain for the domain(windows server2008R2) .Is this true
              please clarify
              Do you mean creating a subdomain or I missed the main point?
              Last edited by kerk; 17th March 2014, 14:03.

Comment

Working...
              X