No announcement yet.

Users on Win7 machines lost connection to their home folder

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Users on Win7 machines lost connection to their home folder

My environment consists of 2003/2008R2 DCs, XP/Win7 Client machines, and a 2008R2 filesever which holds the shared folder for users' home folders. DFL/FFL is 2003.

Last week, I had this strange occurence. All users who were using Win7 suddenly lost connectivity to their home folder. They could connect to other folders on the same server just fine, but could not connect to their home folder. This lasted for about an hour, after that everything started to work just fine again. In the same timeframe, users on XP machines could connect to their home folder just fine.

The home folder is connected to a user specific folder, under a shared folder (\\fileserver\users$\username). This is defined in the user Object in AD. All other network drives are connected through GPO preferences for Win 7 users.

Anyone ever experienced this issue?

Btw, I see about 200 such errors on the fileserver in the timeframe the Win 7 users lost Connection to their home folders

While transmitting or receiving data, the server encountered a network error. Occassional errors are expected, but large amounts of these indicate a possible error in your network configuration. The error status code is contained within the returned data (formatted as Words) and may point you towards the problem.

It has event id 2012. According to Microsoft the error is caused by SMB1 clients trying to connect to SMB2 and SMB3 shares.
    Last edited by Balthier; 8th December 2013, 19:25.

Re: Users on Win7 machines lost connection to their home folder

On the Win7 Clients I also see a couple of such occurences at the same time they lost Connectivity to their home folder

Name resolution for the name timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Win7 Clients are at the same location as the XP ones. Also, they could connect just fine to other shares on the same fileserver. It was only the home folder they lost Connectivity to.