No announcement yet.

DDNS vs Read-Write DNS

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDNS vs Read-Write DNS

Hi guys i need an help to understand the difference between DNS that accept Dynamics Updates and Read-Write DNS.

From the training Kit i read these definition:

Dynamic DNS servers Servers that are designed to accept name registrations
    from a wide variety of devices through dynamic updates are deemed to be dynamic
    DNS (DDNS) servers. DDNS is designed to enable devices—clients and servers—to
    self-register to the DNS server so that other devices can locate them. When the
    DNS service runs on a DC and is integrated with the directory service, it runs in
    DDNS mode, enabling computers that use DHCP to register their own names within
    it automatically. This enables AD DS to locate the client when it needs to send it
    management data such as Group Policy objects (GPOs). DDNS servers are read-write
    servers, but they accept registrations from known entities only.

Read-write DNS servers Earlier DNS servers that are not running in dynamic mode
    but that will accept writes from known sources such as authorized operators are
    deemed read-write DNS servers. The most common type of read-write DNS server
    is the primary DNS server. Primary DNS servers are usually deployed in perimeter
    networks and are not integrated with AD DS.

and this

The most common types of DNS structures are the dynamic DNS server, the primary
    DNS server, and the secondary DNS server. Dynamic DNS servers accept automatic
    name registration from authorized entities within their network. Primary DNS servers
    are read-write servers that are usually maintained by authorized administrators.
    Names can be entered manually or through automated processes but are not entered

The definition of DDNS is ok but when i read the definition of Read-Write DNS i supposed that i can create and update the records only manually, but as i read in the last phrase in blue in a Prymary read-write DNS that say NAMES can be enetered manually or also through automatic process but not dinamically. So i don't understand the real difference between DDNS and READ-WRITE DNS. if i can change automatically the records in both DNS Server whitch is the real difference?

I think my error is think automatic process as well as dynamic process, someone can explain with an example the phrase "Names can be entered manually or through automated processes but are not entered

Re: DDNS vs Read-Write DNS

I'm not sure who came up with these definitions but the main thing I think they're driving at is that dynamic DNS records are ones that clients update for themselves on the fly as their IP address changes.

So it's the registration process of the client when it adds, changes, or deletes its record.

Read-write is a DNS server with an editable zone that can be change manually or programmatically and usually controls the access to do the writes.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Re: DDNS vs Read-Write DNS

A typical DNS server on a Windows domain/network will be dynamic. Dynamic servers allow 'dynamic' (as JeremyW says 'on-the-fly') updates from clients that have been assigned DHCP addresses, or which have static addresses and which have joined the network for the first time.

Each time a client's address changes, so long as the DNS server allows dynamic updates, the client can submit a change of address automatically.

Read/Write servers only allow manual editing of the DNS zone information. A DNS admin would have to manually add new A and/or PTR records for new devices that are joined to the network.

However, dynamic DNS servers also allow manual editing.

So - Dynamic - allows manual editing by a person and automatic updates via a client machine and read-write allows manual editing only.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy