No announcement yet.

AD DS Setup Problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD DS Setup Problem

I want to create a training rig for the guys in my section and I have a machine with 2008 R2 installed. I want it to be a private network with 1 server and a few clients connected to it via Ethernet cable and a switch.

I'm trying to use the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard and I'm getting a Configure TCP/IP error message.

Currently I have the Local Area Connection enabled and the Wireless Network connection disabled. There is nothing connected to the RJ45 port on my machine as I still need to get the cables, clients, and switches.

I set the IPv4 static settings on the Local Area Connection to the following - IP address:, Subnet mask:, Default gateway:, and Preferred DNS server:

I want to finish setting up the AD DS install wizard but I'm stuck.

I'm doing something wrong but I'm not sure what it is.

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: AD DS Setup Problem

The Default Gateway ip address should not be the same as the host ip address. If you don't have a Default Gateway for this test network then just leave it blank.

A computer IS NOT it's own Default Gateway.

while I agree with your statement joeq, would this actually stop AD from installing ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

SBS certainly will not install AD without a live Ethernet connection, so I would start by plugging the laptop into a switch and seeing if it works
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Based on the error message that's my guess. Because TCP is misconfigured it doesn't want to continue with the setup.