X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating Member Servers to another Domain

Hi Everybody,

Hope you are all well and good!

Just got a question we have a multiple domain environmnet within AD.
    I need to move about 10 member servers from one domain to another domain.

Is ADMT the best tool to use to cary out this work?

Could you not just disjoin the servers from the source domain and the add servers to the target domain?

i guess this has been asked a lot before, but when i did a search with the word migration it came up with 100's of enttries. I read most of them but the were not related to my question.

Await your feeback

Thanks

Re: Migrating Member Servers to another Domain

AFAIK, the ADMT is for migrating users from one domain to another. I don't think it's applicable for migrating servers from one domain to another. As far as I'm concerned, disjoining the current domain and joining the new domain should be all that's needed.

Comment

Re: Migrating Member Servers to another Domain

thanks for the reply joeqwerty.
      But i did read on the microsoft forum and a few other places about using that tool.

it was saying admt is the best tool as it keeps all group membership groups etc.

details are below copie dfrom technet.

thanks

You can migrate workstations and member servers by using the ADMT console, by using the ADMT command-line option, or by using a script.
      To migrate workstations and member servers by using the ADMT console
      • Complete the Computer Account Migration Wizard by using the information provided in Table 12.15.
        Table 12.15 Using the Computer Account Migration Wizard to Migrate Workstations and Member Servers

Wizard PageActionTest or Make Changes
        Click Migrate Now?
        Domain Selection
        In the Source domain box, type or select the name of the source domain.
        In the Target domain box, type or select the name of the target domain.
        Computer Selection
        Click Add.
        In the Select Computers dialog box, select the names of the workstations and member servers in the source domain that you want to migrate, click Add, and then click OK.
        Organizational Unit Selection
        Click Browse.
        In the Browse for Container dialog box, locate the OU in the target domain to which the computers are migrating, and then click OK.
        Translate Objects
        Click the Local groups check box.
        Click the User rights check box.
        Security Translation Options
        Click Add.
        Computer Options
        In the Minutes before computer restart after wizard completion box, type 1.
        Naming Conflicts
        Click Ignore conflicting accounts and donít migrate.

Comment

Hi All,
        I have a similar issue.
        We already have all the user accounts in the new domain and moved all computer accounts to a new domain.
        We have a few file servers (which are old domain DCs as well) left in the old domain. We have trust between old and new domain.
        We have created required groups in the new domain and gave them permissions to shared folders on file servers in old domain (via trust)
        Now we need to move those old file server to a new domain so I am wandering what would be the best way to do that:
        1. Demote old domain DC to a member server, remove it from old domain, join it to the new domain (do permissions for shared files and folder preserve?)
        2. Demote old server from DC and move to a new domain (we used profwiz tool for PCs, can we use this tool for the member server? do permissions preserver?)
        3. Is there any way to move member server cross forest via trust?
        The main issue - is preserving permissions to shared files and folders. As I mentioned we already have permissions in place for new domain groups on old file servers shares.
        ​Thanks

Comment

In case anybody still interested - we had 10 Domain Controllers to be moved to another domain and we just demoted each DC in domain A (keeping the last one with all FSMO roles) , rebooted it and joined it to domain B as member server with no issues.

Comment

Working...
          X