No announcement yet.

Server 2008 hangs applying GPP policy

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 hangs applying GPP policy

Server 2008 VM has been running fine for the last 2 years but it is now displaying the message in the attached image:
    Applying Group Policy Printers policy and the damn thing just hangs there. I have searched 8 Google pages but nothing refers to this specifically because there are NO printing GPOs applied to this Server. I have even moved it to a special OU away from any GPOs. That shouldn't have been necessary as it had been logging on. LKGC also didn't work.

The troubling part is this is now happening to a second Server 2008 VM at a different location and it appears to have happened after the lasted MS Patch Tuesday (patch Wednesday if you live in the real part of the world).

I can get in in Safe Mode, logon locally (it's a Member Server) but cannot logon via the Hyper-V MMC or via RDP. I did let it run for a week but the donut of death was still spinning upon my return.

I have also removed it from the Domain and rejoined it but nada.

No ipconfig data posted due to it running for so long without this issue and Default Domain Policy hasn't been modified by me or any Domain wide GPOs applied except Flash, Shockwave and Java updates.

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	apply-group-policy-printers-policy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	469769
    Last edited by biggles77; 19th October 2013, 20:40. Reason: Resize attached image
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: Server 2008 hangs applying GPP policy

Are you able to roll back all the patches from last PT?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Please review:

Also, have you checked it's event logs?
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Thanks for the suggestions but I ended up blowing it away and building a new one.

I did try uninstalling the Updates but nada.
        Event logs gave no clues except for the process hanging.

Will have to see if the other one has the same event error. Bloody computers.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015