No announcement yet.

NTFS permissions change - get dropped

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS permissions change - get dropped

I am in the process of moving our network to Server 2008 R2. I just brought up another server which will replace the Server 2003 R2 "1st domain controller". This server 2003 has all the home directories, I want to copy them to the new server 2008 R2 server. I set up (as a test) on server 2008 the home share to full control for administrators and full control for authenticated users. The same for NTFS permissions.

I can MANUALLY copy files to this share across the network all day, works fine. As soon as I execute the batch file to copy the directories (using robocopy version XP026) from the source server (2003) the NTFS permissions drop on the Server 2008 machine. Access denied in robocopy. Essentially the users I put into NTFS permissions (on destination 2008 machine) are gone. Message says no user has been given access in the NTFS permissoins tab.

This is so screwed up, never seen anything like it. Why is this happening?

Re: NTFS permissions change - get dropped

You can always try:
    Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit
    It's been a while since I have used that tool, but it does a grand job.

Here is a spiceworks link which references Robocopy. You can check your process and make sure you're not missing any steps.
    Move shares and permissions to a new disk in Windows Server

Good luck!
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Re: NTFS permissions change - get dropped

The 'access denied' is caused by UAC. You configured full control for administrators to the NTFS permissions of the folder on the target server, and mostlikely run the script on the source server with an account that has admin rights on the target server.

The dropping of NTFS permissions is strange, but so are some behaviour of robocopy. Maybe related to the unexpected 'access denied'. What switches are used in the robocopy command?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
      and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts