Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPTP VPN Termination problem

Hi,
    I am trying to set up a PPTP VPN for one of my sustomers but I am really struggling with it.

My network setup consists of the following:

Netgear Router doing NAT
    SonicWall Firewall (unregistered and arguing with SonicWall now)
    Windows 2012 Essentials DC Server
    Windows 2008 Memeber Server.

I am trying to set up the Windows 2008 server as a termination point for a PPTP VPN but no matter what I try I cannot get it to work. Traffic is reaching the server but I keep getting the same error 812 if I try a different user name and password i get a different error.

In the event viewer I get the following messages:

The user administrator connected from IP address but failed an authentication attempt due to the following reason: The connection was prevented because of a policy configured on your RAS/VPN server. Specifically, the authentication method used by the server to verify your username and password may not match the authentication method configured in your connection profile. Please contact the Administrator of the RAS server and notify them of this error.

The following error occurred in the Point to Point Protocol module on port: VPN3-127, UserName: administrator. The connection was prevented because of a policy configured on your RAS/VPN server. Specifically, the authentication method used by the server to verify your username and password may not match the authentication method configured in your connection profile. Please contact the Administrator of the RAS server and notify them of this error.

Can anyone help this is driving me mad.

Thanks,

alamb200

Re: PPTP VPN Termination problem

Have you configured network policies?

When creating a VPN in Win server 2008 you can create a security group in ADUC and populate it with user accounts who are allowed remote access. You should then create a policy so that connection requests are checked against the security group.

I've uploaded a part of my documentation that explains how to do this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qta1o2j7f...Document11.pdf

You can configure it to suit your environment. I hope it helps!
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I have mirrored your settings apart from the fact that I am trying to get this working on a member server but I am still getting the same error.

I have loaded a word doc which shows my settings.

Thanks,

alamb200
      Attached Files

Comment

Have you checked through this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/.../vpn-error-812

Comment

Just tried that and I get an 806 error now but nothing in the event viewer on the server.

Comment

How have you configured the connection on the client and what security have you specified on the server?

I know it's not best practice, but for our VPN (which only 10 staff use), security is set at the default values as configured when installing RRAS on the 2008 server. The clients (the home PC's used by staff), set up a new connection, specify the IP address of our office and include the domain when connecting. All default options are left as they are. I can do the same from within the office.

We do not use 'Health' policies as we don't have the capacity to do so.

I have set this up several times in the past and the stumbling blocks have been a firewall preventing the connection, staff not specifying the domain when connecting, and the target router not supporting VPN passthrough.

Comment

Working...
            X