Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging 2 domains Server 2008 R2

Hi

A customer has come to me to scope some work and I want to find out if this is even possible or not. I am thinking brand new domain is the correct cause of action but in the case I am creating myself un-necessary work I thought I'd open this out to the community.

Customer has 1 physical site. 2 subnets that are isolated from each other. Both VLANs have their own set of DCs, file and print servers. one domain has 2000 seats, the other 500 seats. The 500 seats domain has an exchange server in addition.

Now the interesting part - both FQDNs on each subnet are called the same!!

The customer wishes to merge these subnets into one domain, but I fear creating a trust between them will screw things up?

Any suggestions?

Re: Merging 2 domains Server 2008 R2

You should be able to rename one domain or the other before creating the trust - you are right that the same name will not allow a trust to be created!

Check out renaming domains for any potential "gotcha's" first:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Se...BeX30gW09YCwCw
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Merging 2 domains Server 2008 R2

Thanks Ossian, I will take a look

Comment

Working...
      X