No announcement yet.

DNS not resolving external web addresses

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS not resolving external web addresses

Hi All

very new to dns on windows server 2008 so please bear with me.

We have windows 2008 R2 server which has DNS installed. Today people in the office were unable to access the internet.

From the server you are able to ping external IP addresses but not the external web address. We can also ping internal IP's and their associated hostnames. The same is for when doing the above from a pc connected to the switch.

Internal Firewall is off. vyatta router firewall not blocking access at all. From my limited knowledge dns server options seem to be fine, but any suggestion of what i should look for would be much welcomed.

Re: DNS not resolving external web addresses

On the DNS server, do you have forwarders configured?
    They should either be to your ISPs DNS servers or public ones such as google ( and IIRC)

Can you think of anything that has changed overnight - I presume everything was working yesterday, but it was Patch Tuesday so if you have automatic updates enabled on the server, something may have changed
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Hi Ossian

Thanks for the quick reply, as I was awaiting a reply I thought that i would add as an additional forwarder to ones we already had. After a few minutes of trying all was working. However now users cannot access their emails through outlook as it keeps saying that exchange is disconnected. ping works and you can also browse shares on the exchange server. This is the same server as the dns server btw.

I can access the emails through owa. Any suggestions?

All working now, some of the exchange services had stopped running, once started all was working. Thanks