Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Environment software remote install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Windows Environment software remote install

    I have been using or converting software to MSI then using GPO. but I find that its time sonsumming when the software doesnt have MSI package and try to find the workaround.

    I thought, I came accrossed the Microsoft Software management server that we can push software out to client. like .exe file etc..

    Can you someone refresh my mind on that?

    Thanks,
    HN

  • #2
    Re: Windows Environment software remote install

    System Centre Configuration Manager (SCCM) is the product you are after
    Plenty of stuff on about it - current version is 2012
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Windows Environment software remote install

      Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      System Centre Configuration Manager (SCCM) is the product you are after
      Plenty of stuff on about it - current version is 2012

      I know about SCCM, I thought MS give a lighter FREE version of SCCM. I might be wrong. I think the System Center is a paid license..

      I think Microsoft Deployment Tool kits was the one I'm looking for..

      Thanks
      HN

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Windows Environment software remote install

        MDT is for OS deployment, including imaged systems with pre-installed apps. AFAIK it has no facilities for deploying apps to existing OSes (I will be happy to be proved wrong on this, though)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Windows Environment software remote install

          Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          MDT is for OS deployment, including imaged systems with pre-installed apps. AFAIK it has no facilities for deploying apps to existing OSes (I will be happy to be proved wrong on this, though)
          I wasnt looking for prove
          I thought MS Deployment Tool Kits can do the application deployment that why I was trying to look into it.

          We are using SCCM but we might not going to renew the license for next year, because the cost of the product.

          I'm looking for an alternative, GPO is great, but its a pain in the ..... when the software company do not provide MSI package. It take a while try to make thing works.

          Do you know any other free/cheap software that can push exe package to remote client?

          Thanks,
          HN

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Windows Environment software remote install

            Originally posted by Humannetwork View Post
            I wasnt looking for prove
            I thought MS Deployment Tool Kits can do the application deployment that why I was trying to look into it.

            We are using SCCM but we might not going to renew the license for next year, because the cost of the product.

            I'm looking for an alternative, GPO is great, but its a pain in the ..... when the software company do not provide MSI package. It take a while try to make thing works.

            Do you know any other free/cheap software that can push exe package to remote client?

            Thanks,
            HN
            MDT can deploy applications but only at OS installation. You cannot use it to load newer version of applications to client PC's.

            Comment

            Working...
            X