Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding file server

Hi everyone,

I'm quite a newbie when it comes to setting up servers. I've got a project to complete and I'm hoping you could point me in the right direction.

I'm using virtualbox and I need to set up a network with 2 Server 2008 servers (one running DHCP, DNS, Active Directory, Domain Controller, etc), one as a file server, and a Windows XP client.

I have already set up the first server and added the client and everything is running as it should be. I'm wondering, how do I go about adding the file server to the network? I'm guessing I set it to use DHCP from the main server, which is no problem, and then set it up to run DFS. But how do I go about connecting it to the network? Does the file server need to be connected to the main server and the host? Does the host need to be connected to the main server and the file server? Because it is a virtual setup I don't have the use of a switch.

I hope you can understand what I'm talking about.

Cheers guys,

Justin

Re: Adding file server

Don't use VirtualBox so I can't give you any real help except that I do use Google. http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Adding file server

Originally posted by waysgoose View Post
      Hi everyone,

I'm quite a newbie when it comes to setting up servers. I've got a project to complete and I'm hoping you could point me in the right direction.

I'm using virtualbox and I need to set up a network with 2 Server 2008 servers (one running DHCP, DNS, Active Directory, Domain Controller, etc), one as a file server, and a Windows XP client.

I have already set up the first server and added the client and everything is running as it should be. I'm wondering, how do I go about adding the file server to the network? I'm guessing I set it to use DHCP from the main server, which is no problem, and then set it up to run DFS. But how do I go about connecting it to the network? Does the file server need to be connected to the main server and the host? Does the host need to be connected to the main server and the file server? Because it is a virtual setup I don't have the use of a switch.

I hope you can understand what I'm talking about.

Cheers guys,

Justin
      1. Assign a Static IP Address
      2. DFS? Why. You have a single server setup so have no real requirement for DFS.
      3. Not sure about virtual box but does it allow you to create virtual networks?

Comment

Working...
      X