Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

setting up a server for school (windows server 2008)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up a server for school (windows server 2008)

As my final project for the year i am setting up a server that we will eventually move all our computers on to. I am using a poweredge 2900 as a server with windows server 2008 installed. As of now i have 2 computers connected to the domain which they can log on to.
    - what i need help with
    - How do i give all users access to programs?
    - Each student needs to have access to her own drive through the server not locally.
    The client computers are connected to a switch using dhcp.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: setting up a server for school (windows server 200

Originally posted by cjsporl
    - How do i give all users access to programs?
    I don't understand what you mean. Could you please clarify.

- Each student needs to have access to her own drive through the server not locally.
    Have you set Active Directory on the Server? The Home Drive can be set in the AD User Properties page. How good is you knowledge of Group Policies?

Any reason why you have used Server 2008 (a 5 year old O/S) instead of Server 2012? Curiosity question.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      I don't understand what you mean. Could you please clarify.

Have you set Active Directory on the Server? The Home Drive can be set in the AD User Properties page. How good is you knowledge of Group Policies?

Any reason why you have used Server 2008 (a 5 year old O/S) instead of Server 2012? Curiosity question.
      I am user server 2008 because that is what was available to me. Yes, the Active Directory is set up. I know almost nothing about Group Policies, could you explain in detail how to set up the Home Drive. What i mean by giving users access to programs is to have applications install themselves when a user logins to the domain such as notepad++ etc...

Thank You
      Last edited by cjsporl; 2nd October 2013, 18:44.

Comment

Get a good training course (e.g. TRAINSIGNAL) or a good book on Group Policies as they will give you what you need to map drives (logon scripts or Preferences) and deploy software (Assign/Publish packages)

There are plenty of online resources:
        https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ma...KcKL0AW2qYCQBQ

and

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ma...B%3AIE-Address

but you are better with some training to understand the bigger picture
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X