I need some help with setting permissions to folders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help with setting permissions to folders

Hi in my office we are trying to setup different users in our domain with privileges on some shard folders. basically we have a common network scan folder that all users in the domain need to have access to. inside this folder are some sub folders example : accounting. we only want 2 people to have access to this folder. when I log in and go to set permissions instead of a list of usernames I see the domain user group. and if I set permissions it would set them for the group not the individual users in the group. How do I set the special permissions for only certain users in the domain group? thanks

Re: I need some help with setting permissions to folders

Hi, u need to remove Inheritance and manually assign the acl permissions, the option to clear is:
    Allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object

Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313398
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Thanks for the reply but I don't think that is quite what I am looking for. I can change each folder permissions now. the problem I am having is I see the domain group as a whole and not the indivisible users in the domain. right now if i edit permissions it is for (abc\domain\users) I want to be able to edit the permissions for say bob in the abc domain. not the whole group

thanks

Comment

maybe a better or easier way would be for me to make a new group in my domain. currently there is a ABC.com\administrator and a ABC.com\Users maybe I could create a ABC.com\Accounting. this would cover the different levels of access I would need the users would only have access to the scan folder the Accounting would have access to the scans and accounting and the administrators would have access to all. does this make since? if so what would the best way to do this be?
        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by edward_smithe View Post
          maybe a better or easier way would be for me to make a new group in my domain. currently there is a ABC.com\administrator and a ABC.com\Users maybe I could create a ABC.com\Accounting. this would cover the different levels of access I would need the users would only have access to the scan folder the Accounting would have access to the scans and accounting and the administrators would have access to all. does this make since? if so what would the best way to do this be?
          thanks
          I'm not quite sure i follow your requests.

To make the folders only accessible by certain users you need to remove the permissions by removing the tick box as per uk_network mentioned then assign expllicit permissions to the user accounts and not the group. You won't touch groups at all.

My preference and best practice is to create a group with the requried users and then assign the permissions on the folder using the created group. That means it is only a group membership change rather than a folder pemissions change if required.

Comment

Best practice was, and still is, to give permissions to groups rather than individual accounts - even if the group contains only one member.

It is (as Wullie has said) far easier to add/remove membership of a group than to find all the places a user has been given permissions and change them.

Remember AGULP:

Accounts go into
            Global groups, which go into
            Universal groups (if a multi-domain environment), which go into
            Local (as in Domain Local) groups, and
            Permissions are given to the Local groups
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok thanks for the help I think I am following what you are saying now. I may have some more questions on this again when we start doing the setup. they now had something else they wanted me to look at doing so I will be making a new post asking fro help with that lol.

Comment

Working...
              X