Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Domain Name due to Merger

Hi Everyone,
    I'm in need of advice on how to change the domain name for my company. We currently have the following infrastructure:

1. SBC 2003 SP2 server with domain name SBC
    2. 8 users in office that logon using SBC domain.
    3. Currently purchased a new server with 2008 r2 - not in production yet

After reading a few posts, people suggest that setting up a new server with a new domain name (MAS) is cleaner that changing the domain name on the existing SBC 2003 (SBC). So here are my questions with this scenario:

1. Can i run 2 different primary domains on the same network or add the new domain as a child in the forest (then somehow make it the primary and remove the old domain)?
    2. If i run 2 primary domains, is there a way to copy the AD users/groups structure from a different domain?
    3. On client PCs do i have to recreate their profile using the new domain?

Re: Changing Domain Name due to Merger

1. Can i run 2 different primary domains on the same network - YES - or add the new domain as a child in the forest (then somehow make it the primary and remove the old domain)? - NO

If i run 2 primary domains, is there a way to copy the AD users/groups structure from a different domain? - YES. You can use the ADMT to migrate users and groups from one domain to the other.

3. On client PCs do i have to recreate their profile using the new domain? - I believe that the ADMT will migrate the old profile to the new profile, or you can use a commercially available profile migration tool.

Comment

Working...
    X