Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best method of downgrading from 2012 to 2008?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best method of downgrading from 2012 to 2008?

I have Server 2012 Essentials installed currently in a VM as my primary DC (no email, it's hosted), and come to find that it's not the best, at least for my needs. I find it slow (even though it has even been given the gambit of resources), has various issues (doesn't play nicely with other apps streaming media) and even running into the very annoying issues with RDP gateway services.

All in all, I find it slow, klunky, and 2008 R2 seems the way to go for me.

So I am wondering what the best way of moving back from 2012 to 2008 would be?

I have a second server running 2008 but it's a media server and I don't want to give it other roles than its setup for. I was thinking at this point of installing Server 2008 R2 and prompting it to DC and making it a GC, and then basically transferring DNS and DHCP services over, moving the file share mount in the VM over to it, and then basically just saying goodbye to 2012 by turn it off and removing it from AD all together.

Is this feasible? My big concern is that the primary system is basically SBS so I don't want to cause myself any issues and setting up a new internal domain would be a pita at this point.

Re: Best method of downgrading from 2012 to 2008?

Fresh new install of server 2008 r2. there is no other way

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I do know this already, as Microsoft has never provided any mechanism for telling a system to become another version in all it's years in operation.

What I'm more or less doing is 'fact checking' myself before proceeding.

I.E.

Step 1 - Install Server 2008 R2

Step 2 - Get it up to date with security patches etc

Step 3 - Join to domain

Step 4 - Elevate it up as secondary domain controller

Step 5 - Move files and settings to it (including dismount of storage LUN in the 2012 VM and re-mapping it to the new 2008 VM)

Step 5 - Configure all settings and services on the 2k8 box (DHCP, DNS, RDP Services)

Step 6 - Turn off Server 2012 VM

Step 7 - Remove traces of it from the 2008 setup

Comment

What domain functional level are you at currently -- if it is 2012, you will not be able to introduce an older DC
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Assuming functional level 2012 now as I had installed Server Essentials (SBS) 2012.

Drat!

Comment

Best to check - MS do some odd things and may not have turned it all the way up.

Even if they have, you should be able to revert it:
            http://blogs.technet.com/b/aman/arch...nal-level.aspx

(have some good backups first!)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Oddly enough I solved my own RDP issue lol.
              Evidentally when trying to add my 2k8 server to the RDP gateway farm, it never was compatible and it apparently was top on the list to try. It seemed to die there when I tried to access anything.

Removing it from the list opened RDP up via the remote services page again.

D'oh.

Also went through another round of updates and 2k12 really sped up and seems a lot more responsive.

Will keep plugging at it.
              Found some VMWare tweaks for the VM's I'm also going to try later tonight when I get home.

Comment

Working...
              X